Procedures for Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory Rating
- Assessments with "Needs Improvement" in one area should be addressed by the chair half-way through the calendar year and again in the next annual review.
- Assessments of "Needs Improvement" Overall or "Unsatisfactory" in one area will result in follow-up to the Executive Dean's Office (Kansas City) or Dean's Office (Wichita) by providing evidence that a written plan for improvement is in place.
- An Overall Assessment of "Unsatisfactory" initiates an intervention process defined in the Handbook for Faculty and Unclassified Staff (pages 75-76) and on line at here.
Following Unsatisfactory and Needs Improvement annual assessments for faculty on one-year term appointments (including research, clinical, and unmodified titles) the contract may be allowed to expire on June 30th of the contract year or under extenuating circumstances a plan for improvement may be developed for that faculty member with the approval of the Executive Dean (Kansas City) or the Dean (Wichita).
Following Unsatisfactory and Needs Improvement annual assessments for faculty members on the Clinical Scholar Track, the contract may be allowed to expire on the termination date of the current contract. Under extenuating circumstances, a plan for improvement may be developed for that faculty member with approval of the Executive Dean (Kansas City) or the Dean (Wichita).
Following Unsatisfactory and Needs Improvement annual assessments faculty members on the tenure track, who have not yet achieved "tenure," may receive a "Notice of Non-Reappointment" consistent with the procedures described in the Handbook for Faculty and Unclassified Staff [III, Part 2, B.6]. As stated in the Handbook [III, Part 2, B6: "Provisions regarding notices of non-reappointment are not applicable to faculty who are not on the tenure track."
Faculty Development Options Tenure Track Faculty Members:
- Faculty development is a means by which the School of Medicine invests in its faculty. If a faculty member's performance requires improvement in any area, the unit administrator will develop a plan for improvement with the faculty member.
- If a unit administrator concludes that a faculty member's Overall Performance for that year does not meet academic responsibilities at an acceptable level (Unsatisfactory), the administrator and the faculty member shall develop a written plan to improve the faculty member's overall performance which may include assigning a faculty mentor or providing other campus opportunities for continued faculty renewal and development. Other appropriate interventions might include counseling, medical leave, or a change in teaching assignments.
- A faculty member may reject any plan recommended to enhance performance and this rejection would be included in his/her file. The faculty member must understand that a sustained overall failure to meet academic responsibilities at an acceptable level (Unsatisfactory) is a basis for dismissal.
Jan 30, 2015