Eligibility, Nomination and Selection Process
The primary criterion for nomination is a School of Medicine female faculty member who has demonstrated outstanding mentoring and leadership in medicine (including: teaching, research and patient care) or science, with priority for the recruitment or retention of excellent women faculty members. There is no exclusionary criteria as far as rank, track or years in service.
Nominations may come from students, residents or faculty members. Self-nominations are not permitted. The nominations must include:
- Letter of support from the nominator which provides evidence of the nominee's leadership and mentoring skills
- Letter of support from the nominee's dean or department chair
- (Optional) Up to 3 additional letters of support
- Nominee's Curriculum Vitae
- Brief statement from the nominee of their vision for the Professorship
*Please submit the above documents to Krista Wimberly in the Faculty Affairs and Development (FAD) office by Friday, May 13, 2016.
The review committee is comprised of seven members representing the basic and clinical science departments, administration, with the president of WIMS serving as the chair.
- The committee will review nominees and select final candidates for an individual interview. The candidates will be asked to discuss their vision for the Professorship.
- The committee will rank the candidates and submit their recommendations to the Dean of the School of Medicine, who makes the final selection.
- Early April, 2016 - Call for Nominations
- Early May - Nomination Deadline
- Mid-May - Selection Committee meets to determine candidates to interview
- Late May to Early June - Candidates are interviewed by the selection committee and will present their program plan
- Mid June - Candidates are notified and the honoree is announced
- July 1st - the three-year term begins for the new Joy McCann Professor
- August, 2016 Annual WIMS Dinner - the new honoree is recognized
For questions about the Joy McCann Professorship please contact Krista Wimberly.