The Department of Emergency Medicine
The University of Kansas Hospital offers you a transformational, world-class learning experience at the region's premier academic medical center:
- Nationally ranked in 9 medical and surgical specialties by U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked on the U.S. News & World Report's Best Hospitals list for the 12th consecutive year
- Ranked #1 in Kansas and #1 in the Kansas City metro area by U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked among the top 10 academic medical centers by Vizient
- Recognized as the region's only nationally verified burn center for both pediatric and adult patients
- Verified nationally as a Level I Trauma Center by the American College of Surgeons
- NCI-designated Cancer Center
Providing comprehensive care for medical emergencies 24/7
We're prepared to treat any injury or condition, from common to rare, minor to life-threatening, at any time. The Emergency Department treats over 60,000 patients annually.
Level 1 Trauma Center
As the region's only nationally verified Level 1 Trauma Center, we can provide a full spectrum of care for critically injured patients. A team of trauma surgeons, emergency medicine physicians, neurosurgeons, orthopedists, plastic surgeons, radiologists, nurses and respiratory therapists can be mobilized on a moment's notice.
Advanced Comprehensive Stroke Center
A multidisciplinary team responds to acute strokes and can provide intravenous or intra-arterial tPA as well as mechanical embolus removal.
Cardiac Cath Lab
The ST-elevation myocardial infarction team in the Center for Advanced Heart Care consistently exceeds the standard guidelines for door-to-balloon times. In recognition, the hospital earned the Mission: Lifeline® Heart Attack Referring/Receiving Center Accreditation. The American Heart Association and the Society of Chest Pain Centers sponsor the program.
Gene and Barbara Burnett Burn Center
The Burnett Burn Center is the region's only adult pediatric burn center nationally verified by the American Burn Association and the American College of Surgeons.
Innovative Architecture, Advanced Technology
Our ED combines innovative architecture with leading-edge treatment and technology. It features a dual-patient trauma bay, four ambulance bays, decontamination areas for staff and patients, and ED patient and visitor parking.