The Department of Emergency Medicine
The University of Kansas Hospital offers you a transformational, world-class learning experience at the region's premier academic medical center:
- Nationally ranked in 8 medical and surgical specialties by U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked on the U.S. News & World Report's Best Hospitals list for the 10th consecutive year
- Ranked #1 in Kansas and #1 in the Kansas City, MO metro area by U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked among University HealthSystem Consortium's top academic hospitals
- Recognized as the region's only nationally verified adult and pediatric burn center
- Verified nationally as a Level I Trauma Center by the American College of Surgeons
- NCI-designated Cancer Center
Providing comprehensive care for medical emergencies 24/7
We're prepared to treat any injury or condition, from common to rare, minor to life-threatening, at any time. The Emergency Department treats about 150 patients daily or approximately 55,000 patients annually. The department sees 1,200 trauma activation patients annually.
Level 1 Trauma Center
As the region's only nationally verified Level 1 Trauma Center, we can provide a full spectrum of care for critically injured patients. A team of trauma surgeons, emergency medicine physicians, neurosurgeons, orthopedists, plastic surgeons, radiologists, nurses and respiratory therapists can be mobilized on a moment's notice.
Advanced Comprehensive Stroke Center
A multidisciplinary team responds to acute strokes and can provide intravenous or intra-arterial tPA as well as mechanical embolus removal.
Cardiac Cath Lab
The ST-elevation myocardial infarction team in the Center for Advanced Heart Care consistently exceeds the standard guidelines for door-to-balloon times. In recognition, the hospital earned the Mission: Lifeline® Heart Attack Referring/Receiving Center Accreditation. The American Heart Association and the Society of Chest Pain Centers sponsor the program.
Gene and Barbara Burnett Burn Center
The Burnett Burn Center is the region's only adult pediatric burn center nationally verified by the American Burn Association and the American College of Surgeons.
Innovative Architecture, Advanced Technology
Our ED combines innovative architecture with leading-edge treatment and technology. It features a dual-patient trauma bay, four ambulance bays, decontamination areas for staff and patients, and ED patient and visitor parking. Other features include:
- Twenty-three private rooms provide patients a quiet, reassuring environment.
- Expanded triage area with 12-lead EKG capability for prompt diagnosis of critical chest pain patients.
- Radiology equipment, including a 64-slice CT scanner, dedicated for ED patients.
- Advanced technology allowing nurses and physicians to monitor patients in any room or trauma bay.
- Waiting area that can comfortably accommodate up to 50 people.
- Isolation waiting area that separates those with contagious illnesses from other patients and visitors.
- Covered drop-off area and dedicated underground parking garage with direct elevator access into our ED.