Statistics is the exciting and rapidly-growing science of "learning from data, and of measuring, controlling, and communicating uncertainty." (Davidian and Louis, 10.1126/science.12118685). Statistical methods are developed and applied to research in science, technology, engineering, mathematics (STEM), medicine, industry, and business fields, among many others. Statisticians play essential roles in designing the studies, analyzing data, disseminating findings, and creating new methods for addressing problems.
As science and technology progress and new ways to measure and collect information become possible, new statistical techniques must be developed and applied. With the breathtaking pace of science and technology, the skills of statisticians are especially in demand because of new advances in STEM and medical fields and in the collection, storing, and management of "Big Data".
Our innovative MS & PhD programs in Biostatistics and our recently formed MS in Applied Statistics, Analytics & Data Science help meet the ever-increasing demand for statisticians and biostatisticians needed to take leadership roles in academia, government and industry. The course work, seminars and collaborative research experiences have been designed so that our graduates acquire the knowledge and expertise that allows them to work at the frontier of their field.
Our faculty members are active researchers collaborating and consulting in research projects and initiatives throughout the Medical Center, in addition to pursuit of their own research agendas and participation in curricular instruction. Expertise in the department includes linear, nonlinear, and longitudinal modeling, clinical trial and experimental design, survival analysis, categorical data analysis, robust statistics, psychometric methods and Bayesian methodology.
The Department of Biostatistics & Data Science offers the following graduate programs to those applicants interested in professional or academic careers in Biostatistics and Applied Statistics & Analytics.
- MS in Biostatistics - For individuals who wish to develop a career as a professional biostatistician or biostatistical consultant
- PhD in Biostatistics - For individuals who wish to prepare themselves to become biostatistical researchers in academia, research institutes, government or industry
- MS in Applied Statistics, Analytics & Data Science - For individuals who wish to develop hands-on statistical computer skills with an emphasis in proper application of statistical methods.
The Department of Biostatistics & Data Science offers the following certificate programs to those applicants interested in expanding on their skill set in the fields of Statistics and Biostatistics.
- Certificate in Biostatistics - For individuals who wish to be able to apply common biostatistical methods to compliment his or her every day job duties.
- Certificate in Biostatistical Applications - For individuals who wish to develop a basic understanding of the applications of the more common statistical methods.
- Certificate in Applied Statistics - For individuals who wish to gain specialized knowledge required of careers in the high demand field of statistics.
- Certificate in Applied Data Science - For individuals who wish to gain specialized knowledge required of careers in the rapidly growing field of data science.
For questions regarding the Biostatistics Graduate Program, contact:
Jo Wick, Ph.D.
Director of Graduate Education, Department of Biostatistics & Data Science
Shana L. Palla, MS
Assistant Director of Graduate Education, Department of Biostatistics & Data Science