Jonathan D. Mahnken, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of Biostatistics & Data Science
Director of the Data Management and Statistics Core, The University of Kansas Alzheimer’s Disease Center
B.A., Mathematics, Concordia University, Seward, NE
M.S., Preventive Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX
Ph.D., Biometry, University of Texas – Health Science Center, Houston, TX
2004, Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health
2005-2007 and 2008-2010, National Institutes of Health Clinical Research Loan Repayment Program
2007, Excellence in Public Health Teaching Award
2008, 2009, Faculty Domestic Travel Award
Member, The University of Kansas Cancer Center
Accredited Professional Statistician (PStat®) by the American Statistical Association from 12/18/2010-09/30/2016
Study design, power and sample size calculations, secondary data analysis, survival analysis, categorical data analysis, statistical consulting and expert testimony, analysis of health claims data.
Top 15 Publications
1. Mahnken JD, Chan W, Freeman DH, Freeman JL: "Reducing the Effects of Lead-Time Bias, Length Bias, and Over-Detection in Evaluating Screening Mammography: A Censored Bivariate Data Approach." Statistical Methods in Medical Research, 17:643-663, 2008.
2. Mahnken JD, Mayo MS, Nudo RJ: "A Decision Algorithm for Translating Preclinical Trial Results to Enhance Recovery after Stroke." Journal of Biopharmaceutical Statistics, 19(1):204-216, 2009. PMCID: PMC2700836.
3. Ellerbeck EF, Mahnken JD, Cupertino AP, Sanderson Cox L, Greiner KA, Mussulman LM, Nazir N, Shireman T, Resnicow K, Ahluwalia JS: "Effect of Varying Levels of Disease Management on Smoking Cessation: A Randomized Trial." Annals of Internal Medicine, 150(7):437-446, 2009. PMCID: PMC2825176.
4. Mahnken JD: "Power and Sample Size Calculations for Models from Unknown Distributions Using Quasi-likelihood Methods." Statistics in Biopharmaceutical Research. 1(3):328-336, 2009.
5. Mayo MS, Mahnken JD, Soong S: "Optimal Designs for Two-Arm, Phase II Clinical Trial Design with Multiple Constraints." Journal of Biopharmaceutical Statistics. 20(1):106-124, 2010.
6. Ambrosius W, Mahnken JD: "Power for Studies with Random Group Sizes." Statistics in Medicine. 29:1137-1144, 2010. PMCID: PMC2936967.
7. Mahnken JD, Wick JA, Gajewski BJ, Mayo MS: "A Study Design with Conditional, Serially Assessed Co-primary Endpoints: An Application to a Single-arm, Pilot Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma Trial." Drug Development Research. 71:395-403, 2010. Invited.
8. Wetmore JB, Santos P, Mahnken JD, Krebill R, Menard R, Gutta H, Quarles LD: "FGF23 Levels Are Associated with Degree of Dynamic Calcium-mediated Suppression of PTH in ESRD." Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 96(1):E57-E64, 2011.
9. Wetmore JB, Mahnken JD, Mukhopadhyay P, Hou Q, Ellerbeck EF, Rigler SK, Spertus JA, Shireman TI: "Geographic Variation in Cardioprotective Antihypertensive Medication Usage in Dialysis Patients." American Journal of Kidney Diseases. 58(1):73-83, 2011.
10. Wetmore JB, Mahnken JD, Rigler SK, Ellerbeck EF, Mukhopadhyay P, Spertus JA, Hou Q, Shireman TI: "The Prevalence of and Factors Associated with Chronic Atrial Fibrillation in Medicare/Medicaid-eligible Dialysis Patients." Kidney International. 81: 469-476, 2012. PMCID: In process.
11. Wetmore JB, Mahnken JD, Mukhopadhyay P, Hou Q, Ellerbeck EF, Rigler SK, Spertus JA, Shireman TI: "Geographic Variation in HMG-CoA Reductase Inhibitor Use in Dialysis Patients." Journal of General Internal Medicine. 27(11):1475-1482, 2012.
12. Mahnken JD, He J, Yeh HW, Nazir N, Jianas LL, Engelman KK: "Survival Analysis Applied to Proportion Data: Comparing Mammography Visits in High and Low Repeat Rate Facilities." Health Services and Outcomes Research Methodology. 13(1):68-83, 2013.
13. Wetmore JB, Mahnken JD, Rigler SK, Ellerbeck EF, Mukhopadhyay P, Hou Q, Shireman TI: "Association of Race with Cumulative Exposure to Statins in Dialysis." American Journal of Nephrology. 36:90-96, 2012.
14. Wetmore JB, Ellerbeck EF, Mahnken JD, Phadnis M, Rigler SK, Mukhopadhyay P, Spertus JA, Zhou X, Hou Q, Shireman TI: "Atrial Fibrillation and Risk of Stroke in Dialysis Patients." Annals of Epidemiology. (Accepted.)
15. Rigler SK, Shireman TI, Cook-Wiens G, Ellerbeck EF, Whittle J, Mehr D, Mahnken JD: "Fracture Risk among Nursing Home Residents Initiating Antipsychotic Medications." Journal of the American Geriatric Society. (Accepted.)