News and Seminars Overview
Seminars around KUMC
Seminars of Interest at Nearby Institutions
Dr. Russ Swerdlow (Joint Appt - Neurology) was invested with the Gene and Marge Sweeny Professorship in Neurology by KU Endowment on November 18, 2013
Dr. Aron Fenton's article: "Are all regions of folded proteins that undergo ligand-dependent transitions targets for allosteric peptide mimetics?", Biopolymers, 2013, was selected by F1000 Prime for inclusion in their in-depth directory of top articles in biology and medicine.
Two BMB students received awards at the recent Student Research Forum. Zhen Zhang won the "Award for Best Presentation in Epigentics & Stem Cell Biology" and Dan Parente won the Joe R. Kimmel Award for Best Presentation in Biochemistry.
The research of Dr. Mark Fisher was featured at the University Research & Entrepreneuship Symposium held on April 3rd in Cambridge, Mass. Dr. Fisher is developing new techologies to address protein-folding diseases.
Dr. Owen W. Nadeau was the First Author on the Journal of Biological Chemistry's Best Paper of 2012 in Computational Biology: Structure and Location of the Regulatory β Subunits in the (αβγδ)4 Phosphorylase Kinase Complex. Owen W. Nadeau, Laura A. Lane, Dong Xu, Jessica Sage, Timothy S. Priddy, Antonio Artigues, Maria T. Villar, Qing Yang, Carol V. Robinson, Yang Zhang, Gerald M. Carlson,
J Biol Chem Oct 26, 2012; 287: 36651-36661
- Dr. Joe Fontes was awarded the 2012 Ruth Bohan Teaching Professorship at the 2012 School of Medicine Annual Faculty Retreat held on November 9, 2012. The Ruth Bohan Teaching Professorship is the most prestigious teaching award in the School of Medicine. The award recognizes excellence in teaching and seeks to continue the tradition of outstanding education in the medical school.
- Mauricio Vargas Uribe was the 2012 recipient of the Kimmel Award. Dr. Swint-Kruse made the announcement at the Student Research Forum on March 30th.
- The Department hosted the first Heartland Undergraduate Biochemistry Forum on November 19th with Dr. Richard Hanson as the keynote speaker. Photos from the event have been posted here.
- The recipients for the Kimmel Award and Grisolia Award was announced at the Student Research Forum on April 1. Subhashchandra Naik was the Kimmel Award recipient. Dan Parente was the recipient of the Grisolia Award. Information on the awards and a list of past recipients may be found here.
- The PKD Foundation honored James Calvet, Ph.D. with the Kaplan International PKD prize at the World Congress of Nephrology on April 11, 2011 in Vancouver, British Columbia. Dr. Calvet was chosen to receive this prestigious award due to his scientific work and clinical contributions that have added to worldwide knowledge of PKD and the development of new and effective therapies.
- The department held a retreat on Tuesday, April 20, 2010.
- James P. Calvet, Ph.D., is the 2009 recipient of the Chancellor's Club award for research for his work on polycystic kidney disease. Dr. Calvet's award was presented October 9th at the annual Chancellor's Club celebration.
- Glen Andrews, Ph.D., was named a University Distinguished Professor by Chancellor Robert Hemenway in recognition of his outstanding contributions in teaching, research and service. This is the highest honor KU bestows on its faculty. The recognition was announced on March 24, 2009.
Nov 19, 2013