News and Seminars Overview
Seminars around KUMC
Seminars of Interest at Nearby Institutions
- A new article on Sickle Cell compounds by Dr. Ken Peterson, Professor and Vice Chair, was recently highlighted in KU Medical Center News.
- Jackie Thompson (graduate student, Carlson lab) and Zhen Zhang (graduate student, Slawson lab), were both recipients Biomedical Research Training Program Fellowships.
- Ee Phie Tan, graduate student in Dr. Chad Slawson's lab, is an awardee of a Mabel A. Woodyard Fellowship in Neurodegenerative Disorders. Her selection was based on the quality of her science and potential as a neuroscience researcher.
- Dr. Joseph Fontes was recongized with the Chancellor's Distinguished Teaching Award at the KU Teaching Summit on Aug 21. Dr. Fontes is the director and a lecturer in the Foundations in Medicin module, the first course tuagh to first-year medical students.
- Santiago Grisolia, M.D., Ph.D., a former chair and professor emeritus of the department, was recently recognized by the King of Spain. He is now the Marquis of Grisolia. Juan Carlos I recognized Dr. Grisolia for his long and commendable career of teaching and research, and his contribution to scientific knowledge.
Rushi Trivedi was the recipient of the 2014 Kimmel Award. The Kimmel Award was announced during the Student Research Forum held April 2 - 4.
Dr. Russ Swerdlow (Joint Appt - Neurology) was invested with the Gene and Marge Sweeny Professorship in Neurology by KU Endowment on November 18, 2013
Dr. Aron Fenton's article: "Are all regions of folded proteins that undergo ligand-dependent transitions targets for allosteric peptide mimetics?", Biopolymers, 2013, was selected by F1000 Prime for inclusion in their in-depth directory of top articles in biology and medicine.
Two BMB students received awards at the recent Student Research Forum. Zhen Zhang won the "Award for Best Presentation in Epigentics & Stem Cell Biology" and Dan Parente won the Joe R. Kimmel Award for Best Presentation in Biochemistry.
The research of Dr. Mark Fisher was featured at the University Research & Entrepreneuship Symposium held on April 3rd in Cambridge, Mass. Dr. Fisher is developing new techologies to address protein-folding diseases.
Dr. Owen W. Nadeau was the First Author on the Journal of Biological Chemistry's Best Paper of 2012 in Computational Biology: Structure and Location of the Regulatory β Subunits in the (αβγδ)4 Phosphorylase Kinase Complex. Owen W. Nadeau, Laura A. Lane, Dong Xu, Jessica Sage, Timothy S. Priddy, Antonio Artigues, Maria T. Villar, Qing Yang, Carol V. Robinson, Yang Zhang, Gerald M. Carlson,
J Biol Chem Oct 26, 2012; 287: 36651-36661
- Dr. Joe Fontes was awarded the 2012 Ruth Bohan Teaching Professorship at the 2012 School of Medicine Annual Faculty Retreat held on November 9, 2012. The Ruth Bohan Teaching Professorship is the most prestigious teaching award in the School of Medicine. The award recognizes excellence in teaching and seeks to continue the tradition of outstanding education in the medical school.
- The recipients for the Kimmel Award and Grisolia Award was announced at the Student Research Forum on April 1. Subhashchandra Naik was the Kimmel Award recipient. Dan Parente was the recipient of the Grisolia Award. Information on the awards and a list of past recipients may be found here.
- The PKD Foundation honored James Calvet, Ph.D. with the Kaplan International PKD prize at the World Congress of Nephrology on April 11, 2011 in Vancouver, British Columbia. Dr. Calvet was chosen to receive this prestigious award due to his scientific work and clinical contributions that have added to worldwide knowledge of PKD and the development of new and effective therapies.
- James P. Calvet, Ph.D., is the 2009 recipient of the Chancellor's Club award for research for his work on polycystic kidney disease. Dr. Calvet's award was presented October 9th at the annual Chancellor's Club celebration.
Sep 19, 2014