Kirk T. Benson, M.D. Professorship
Make a difference in the future of medicine, research and academic excellence. Give today.
- 1980 - Resident of KU Anesthesiology
- 1981 - Elected Chief Resident of Anesthesiology
- 1982 - Became an Anesthesiology faculty member at KU
- 1992 - Elected into the Academy of Anesthesiology
- 2001 - Became President of Academy of Anesthesiology
- 2005 - KUPI President and Senior Associate Dean of Clinical Affairs at the Health System
- 2011 - KUMC Faculty Award- The Glendon G. Cox Leadership Award
"Dr. Benson is the embodiment of what Anesthesia is aspiring to become, providing leadership outside of the intraoperative world, leveraging knowledge of the perioperative period to improve health care for all."
Leaving a Legacy
From medical student to Chief Resident; Anesthesiology Department faculty member, Vice Chair to Chair; to leading the creation of KUs faculty practice plan group, Dr. Benson has been singled out for his integrity, levelheadedness, mentorship and advocacy.
In 2005, Dr. Benson stepped down as Department Chair to give his attention more fully to his duties as KUPI President and Senior Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs at the Health System.
During his tenure, UKP implemented a new retirement plan, established a new payroll system, developed a new accounting and reporting system, developed physician insurance benefits and established a Claims Office, implemented a UKP HR handbook, established standard parking and CME allowances, and developed a UKP Peer Review Policy.
"Dr. Benson has been a mentor as well as a sponsor for junior faculty. He encouraged me to become involved in various organizations in which I have held leadership positions."
Preserve Dr. Benson’s legacy by making your donation to the Kirk T. Benson, M.D. Professorship Fund today.
Multi-year pledges or estate gifts can be made by contacting Lydia Allen 913-562-2722. All gifts are tax-deductible.Give Now