The faculty attend on an inpatient consultative service at the Medical Center. All inpatient consultations regarding patients with a broad spectrum of immunologic and rheumatologic diseases are seen by a member of the divisional faculty.
The division operates nine half-day clinics each week with a focus on systemic lupus erythematosus, atopic diseases and nonarticular rheumatism, and inflammatory arthritis. The fellows also have the option of working with a member of the clinical staff in a private practice arrangement. During the second and/or third years, the fellows are expected to participate in a laboratory research project under the direction of one of the divisional faculty or design and execute a clinical project with one of the divisional clinical faculty.
Special consideration will be given to applicants contemplating a career in academic medicine. A minimum of two years of laboratory experience is required for the development of investigative skills.
Inpatient consultation service
- Fellows participate four months annually.
- Current stipend for fellows: approximately $48,568 per year. In addition, a fringe benefit package of health insurance for the individual, malpractice insurance and participation in one scientific meeting per year is offered.
- Timetable for application and notification of acceptance preceed the start year of the fellowship: Applications are due November through December. Interviews are usually held during February or March. Notification of acceptance occurs on Match Day for each specialty.
- Offer a comprehensive two-year clinical program for internists desirous of certifying in rheumatology
- For physicians desiring board eligibility in both Allergy and Rheumatology subspecialties, a combined three-year program is available.
- Scholarly activity is required. This may be satisfied with a clinical or laboratory-based project. A formal presentation at a regional or national meeting is expected.
- Orientation to interdisciplinary specialties: skeletal radiology, rehabilitation medicine, orthopedic surgery (hand and foot reconstruction, joint replacement)
- Inpatient consultation service: four months/year
- Outpatient clinic experiences: six half-days/week
- University hospital, private practice (upon request)
- Weekly Wednesday morning research conference or journal club (one hour)
- Weekly Wednesday morning didactic conference and clinical protocol development (one hour)
- Monthly skeletal radiology session and clinical case presentations
May 17, 2013