Frequently Asked Questions

Can I get financial aid or a scholarship?

The Department of Respiratory Care Education does not offer scholarships of its own. However, the department will help you find information about merit- and need-based scholarships available from professional organizations.

For information about financial aid during freshman and sophomore years at KU, write or call the University of Kansas:

University of Kansas Office of Student Financial Aid
50 Strong Hall
Lawrence, KS 66045-1920
(913) 864-4700

University Scholarship Center
33 Strong Hall
Lawrence, KS 66045
(913) 864-5439

Students entering the respiratory care program (junior year) should write or call the

University of Kansas Medical Center Office of Student Financial Aid
3007 Student Center
3901 Rainbow Boulevard
Kansas City, KS 66160
(913) 588-5170

How many credits can transfer to KU's Respiratory Care program?

A maximum of 64 credit hours may be transferred to the program from another institution. However, to graduate from KU, 45 credits must be from junior/senior-level course work. This means community college students must convert credits (usually at least 11 hours) from their associate degree program to KU junior/senior level credits. The cost for this is $12.50 per course converted.

Do I have to be a full-time student?

For traditional bachelor's degree program students on campus, yes. Students in the degree-completion program for RRT professionals may take as many or few class as desired during each semester. It is recommended students complete the program within three years.

I took a combined anatomy and physiology course. Will this transfer to KU?

Yes, this course will transfer and meet one course requirement for respiratory care but you must take an additional physiology course to fulfill the prerequisites.

Do I need to get the background check done when applying to the program?

Not during the application process, but you will be required to follow the background check procedure once you are accepted into the program and to complete it before you are allowed to enter the program. Students in online-only programs are not required to complete a background check.

Will my financial aid transfer over from KU-Lawrence Campus to KU Medical Center?

No, it does not transfer from KU to KUMC. Contact the KUMC Office of Student Financial Aid at 913-588-5170 or visit their website.

I already have a degree, but it's from a non-U.S. university. What steps do I need to take?

All non-U.S. transcripts must be evaluated before they will be accepted. Please see our information for international students page for more details about this procedure.

Is there any housing available on-campus?

There is no student housing on the KU Medical Center campus. Most students live in apartments in surrounding neighborhoods and are responsible for arranging their own housing. Many local housing ads are posted on this Web site.

I need driving directions to KU Medical Center.

KU Medical Center is centrally located in Kansas City and easily accessible from I-35. The campus resides at 39th Street and Rainbow Boulevard. See our maps and directions page for more information.

Last modified: Sep 20, 2013