Progression through the program is easier if the student remains enrolled. Any missed fall or spring semesters will require the student undergo a reactivation process to regain student status, including a $60 processing fee paid to the Office of the Registrar. Any student who is not enrolled continuously throughout his or her program for each fall and spring semester is discontinued as of the 20th day of the semester in which he/she does not enroll. Once discontinued, the student must complete, sign and return a form to be reactivated.
Curriculum: Respiratory Care Bachelor's Degree Advancement Program
Requirements for the Respiratory Care Bachelor's Degree Advancement Program
This program requires a minimum 30 credit hours of respiratory care course work.
Upon acceptance, students work with an advisor to organize a plan of study and select a clinical specialty area. Specialty areas include neonatal critical care, adult critical care, and respiratory care management. Other areas may be considered with advisor approval.
With its eight-week course blocks, KU's program provides a unique benefit to students. And flexibility in the plan of study is tailored to help students who may wish to complete their bachelor's degree in just four semesters or others who may want to spread out courses over a longer period of time to accommodate their work schedules and family obligations.
Core Courses (all students complete these eight-week courses)
- RESP 650 Medical Writing & Research (3 credit hours)
- RESP 495 Management, Ethics, and Law (3 credit hours)
- RESP 620 Community and Global Health (3 credit hours)
- RESP 480 Simulation and Interprofessional Education (3 credit hours)
- RESP 450 Chronic Disease Management (3 credit hours)
Students choose any three of the following eight-week courses for their electives:
Specialty Credential Courses
- RESP 460 ACCS Specialty Credential Prep (3 credit hours)
- RESP 470 AE-C Specialty Credential Prep (3 credit hours)
- RESP 465 NPS Specialty Credential Prep (3 credit hours)
Management Track Courses
- RESP 630 Lean Management (3 credit hours)
- RESP 640 Professional Communication (3 credit hours)
- RESP 655 Leadership Management (3 credit hours)
Capstone (full-semester course, 16 weeks)
- RESP 665 Capstone Project (6 credit hours)
Example study plan options
- Fall semester: view fast track or view extended track .
- Spring semester: view fast track or view extended track .
The core courses and capstone course are required for all students. Students select three courses from the two tracks for nine credit hours of electives.
Note: the capstone course must be taken during the last semester of the program (all prerequisites must be complete prior to enrolling in the capstone).
To be eligible for financial aid, students must be enrolled in at least six credit hours per semester.
To qualify for graduation, a minimum grade of C or better is required on all respiratory care courses. The university requires at least 120 hours of total college credit to receive a bachelor's degree from KU. Previous course work in respiratory care may be eligible for transfer credit.
The class schedule follows a typical semester and is designed to be delivered at an organized and manageable pace for the student.
For more information about this program, please see the KU Academic Catalog for course descriptions.