Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

physical therapist works with client on treadmill


Do you offer an online application?
Yes. Applications to KU's physical therapy program are handled by the national Physical Therapist Centralized Application Service.

How much is the application fee?
In addition to the PTCAS fee, the application fee to KU is $75.00 for all degree programs in the School of Health Professions, including all programs offered by the KU Department of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Science.

Is a criminal background check required?
Yes. Prior to their final acceptance and initial enrollment in classes, all students will be directed to have a background check* completed by Validity Screening Solutions. Details

What are the current tuition rates at KU?
Please see the Office of the Registrar Web site.
(Please note: Residency status is determined by the Registrar's Office. Tuition and fees are set by the Kansas Board of Regents and are subject to change without notice)

How many years is the DPT program?
The DPT program lasts thirty-six months and covers eight semesters. Students graduate with a Doctor of Physical Therapy degree.

When is the application deadline?
November 1.

What should be my undergraduate major?
We accept students without regard to their major. The key factor is completing all the prerequisites. Many of our applicants select a major that requires the courses we require as prerequisites, but this is not mandatory.

Do you require or recommend prerequisite courses and/or bachelor's degree be completed at the University of Kansas main campus in Lawrence?
The Lawrence campus of the University of Kansas is an excellent institution for earning a degree in many fields. However, we do not require that an applicant have received his/her degree from KU and we are under no obligation to accept graduates from State of Kansas univerisites. A prior degree from KU does not help nor harm your changes of being accepted to our programs. Prerequisites may be completed at any accredited college or university.All prerequisite science courses must be completed within the last 10 years.

Is the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) required? What score does your program require for the GRE?
Yes. GRE scores must be reported to PTCAS, not KU; please use the PTCAS program code 7815. Recommended scores are within the 50th percentile range on the verbal and quantitative sections. The GRE scores are meaningful to the admissions committee as these scores are highly predictive of success in graduate studies and national licensure examination. The GRE must have been taken within the past five (5) years to be valid on an application.

Where can I get more information about taking the GRE?
Please visit the Educational Testing Service website

Where are the classes conducted? At KU Medical Center? In Lawrence?
Our offices, teaching classrooms and laboratory space are located on the KU Medical Center campus in Kansas City, Kansas. Some elective courses may be taken at the University of Kansas, Lawrence campus. For the DPT program, some travel is necessary to complete clinical education requirements since our sites are off campus.

Do your students get to select where they go on their clinical internships?
Students "bid" on preferred locations for clinical internships, but do not get to select an affiliation site.

Are your students allowed to work while attending your program?
We do not prohibit students from working while they are in the program. However, it's important to remember that classes and studying will demand a great deal of your time. It will ultimately be up to each individual student to decide if he/she can strike a satisfactory balance between working and succeeding in our program. We strongly suggest DPT students not attempt to work during their first year in the program.

Does your program offer a Bachelors degree or PT assistant program?
No. All our programs are doctorate level.

My degree was acquired at an institution outside the United States. Am I eligible to apply?
Students with degrees from a university outside the U.S. may be considered provided they meet the requirements equivalent to a bachelor's degree from a program in the U.S.

How many out-of-state students do you accept?
The actual number varies from year to year. However, the majority of students accepted each year are from the state of Kansas. This reflects our applicant pool.

Is the TOEFL required for all international students applying for admission into your programs?
The Test Of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required for any international student who applies for acceptance into our programs. Additionally, the Test of Spoken English (TSE) may be required. Please see English Language Requirements for more details.

Do you offer a PhD degree?
The highest level degree available in physical therapy is our clinical doctorate (DPT). The department also offers a PhD in Rehabilitation Science.

Where do students complete their clinical internships?
At this time we have contracts with over 300 hospitals and clinics throughout the United States and in foreign countries. The majority of sites are located in the midwest U.S.

When do classes begin?
Each new class enters during the first week of June. All of our semesters follow the calendar established by the University of Kansas, except that DPT students do not follow KU's schedule for holiday break or spring break. Summer semesters generally begin in the first week of June, fall semesters generally begin in the third week of August and spring semesters generally begin in the third week of January.

Does your program offer night classes or a part-time physical therapy program?
No, our DPT program is full-time. Although some classes may occasionally meet in the evening or on weekends, classes are regularly scheduled for daytime hours.

What on-campus housing options are available for students?
There is no student housing on the KU Medical Center campus. Most students live in apartments in surrounding neighborhoods and are responsible for arranging their own housing. Housing is available for students on the Lawrence campus: see Student Housing for information.

Is the background check required when applying to the program?
not during the application process, but students are required to follow the background check procedure once accepted into the program and to complete it before entering the program.

I already have a degree, but it's not from a U.S. college or university. What steps do I need to take?
All non-U.S. transcripts must be evaluated before they will be accepted. Please see our information for international students page for more details about this procedure.

I need driving directions.
KU Medical Center is centrally located in Kansas City and easily accessible from I-35. The campus resides at 39th Street and Rainbow Boulevard. See: KU Medical Center maps, parking and directions. The main campus of KU is located in Lawrence, Kan. along Interstate 70. See: KU-Lawrence maps, parking and directions.

Last modified: Sep 07, 2018

Explore the program

Program overview
Eligibility and requirements
Tuition and fees
How to apply
Clinical Education

Important Dates

2019-2020 Admissions Cycle

July 1
PTCAS opens for online applications

November 1
Deadline to submit PTCAS application

June 1
Classes begin

Note: these dates are subject to change for future admissions cycles.

We're here to answer questions and help students prepare for an exciting career in physical therapy. Please contact us at

KU undergraduate students seeking advising on the KU Lawrence campus, and high school students, should contact Robin Merritt at the Undergraduate Advising Center, 785-864-2834 (711 TTY).