Frequently Asked Questions

Many of the questions asked by prospective students are similar. Common questions and their answers are summarized below, in the hope that this will aid in your decision-making!

Is there a central place where I can go to find information about KU Medical Center?

Yes. The KU Medical Center homepage is a good starting point. Also, the Office of Student Services will direct you to resources intended to introduce you to life as a student at the medical center.

Is financial aid available to graduate students?

If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you may be eligible for federal aid or scholarships administered through the Department of Student Financial Aid. The Department of Occupational Therapy Education may have teaching assistantships or stipends available for in-coming students, though the availability varies from year to year. Students interested in an assistantship should request an application form from the department. Employment opportunities exist to help offset the cost of education.

What types of housing are available?

KU Medical Center does not have student housing. Students live in apartments or rooms in the surrounding neighborhoods and are responsible for arranging their own accommodations. Real Estate with Honors provides listings of available off-campus housing.

What are the costs of attending KU?

Tuition and fees are set each year by KU and the Kansas Board of Regents. For this year's figures, please visit the Office of the Registrar. Tuition payment is due at the beginning of each semester. International students are required to show evidence of available resources in order to support the costs of study at KU (tuition, fees, housing, living expenses).

How can I obtain a copy of KU's graduate catalog?

Paper copies of the catalog are no longer available. The catalog is available online at

International students often have questions unique to their situation. Where can I find more information?

The Office of International Programs may help answer many questions. Please contact the office to help find answers to questions related to being an international student in Kansas City.

What are the requirements for international students to obtain a visa?

There are a series of forms and approvals that are necessary in order to obtain an F-1 student visa. When the student is accepted into the program, the student must provide documentation that they have sufficient financial resources to support their living and education expenses. Once this documentation is received, the department submits a Request for I-20 form through the approval channels. Once that request is approved, it is sent to the student in their home country. The student takes that form to the U.S. consulate, and obtains an F-1 (student) visa which permits them to study in the U.S. 

What are the English language requirements for graduate study?

In order to be considered for admission, students who are not native English speakers must take the TOEFL and earn a sufficient score to be eligible for admission. This requirement is waived for non-native English speakers who have earned at least a bachelor's degree from an institution in the U.S. 

What is Kansas City like, anyway?
We hope these pages will help answer this question!

Please contact us by e-mail if you have further questions, or if we can help to clarify any of these answers!

See also: Scholarships offered by the School of Health Professions for current students

Financial Aid Information

Financial aid is available for students who qualify. Students should not wait to be accepted into an academic program to begin the financial aid process. Even if the application deadline for the intended program is later in the year, students are strongly encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Financial Aid (FAFSA) by the March 1 priority deadline. Some financial aid grants and low interest loans have limited funding. After the priority deadline, any remaining financial aid will be awarded as available.

Even if financial aid will not be requested, students are encouraged to file the FAFSA annually (same timeline as above). The School of Health Professions has scholarship funds (awarded in the spring for the next academic year starting in fall) for students based on merit, financial need, or both. The FAFSA enables the School to consider all scholarship funds available. The FAFSA must be completed annually.

The total financial aid award package, including scholarships, loans, or need-based aid, cannot be finalized until the student's application materials and fee have been received and acceptance to KU has been completed.

Last modified: Jul 02, 2013