Frequently Asked Questions

About the Program

What is a post-professional program?
Students in this program are occupational therapists who want advanced education beyond their entry-level OT degree.

How does the Doctor of Occupational Therapy Doctorate differ from the Ph.D. in Therapeutic Science?
The OTD is a professional doctorate designed to develop leaders in practice and education. The Ph.D. is a research doctorate designed to develop academic researchers.

Can I work while I am in the program?
Because this is a post-professional program, we encourage all our students to continue working in order to apply course work to their practice settings.

Are online course prices the same as courses on campus?
No, there is a different fee structure for online courses. Please contact the registrar's office to obtain information about these fees.

What is the average length of time to complete the OTD program? I currently work 40 hours per week.
The OTD program is 36 credit hours beyond a master's degree. Students typically take 3-6 credit hours per semester. We encourage students to continue working while enrolled in the program. This way, they can apply the material to their current practice. Most of our students work full-time.

When do classes begin?
See KU's academic calendar for important dates. Spring classes typically begin in mid- January, summer classes in early June, and fall classes in late-August

Will I have an academic advisor or faculty mentor?
If you are admitted you will be assigned an academic advisor to assist with course planning. You will later choose a faculty mentor to support your practicum activities.

I work in academia. Can I still complete practicums without participating in typical clinical experiences?
Yes, this program is designed to change your practice, whatever that practice may be.


Does state residency determine tuition fees?
Courses can be taken in person for people who want to meet face to face with instructors, or online. Out of state students will be charged out of state tuition for courses taken in person. For online courses, all students pay the same online learning fee.

Do I have to pay out-of-state tuition?
Non-Kansas residents who take courses in person will have to pay out-of-state tuition.


Do you require a GRE?
No, we do not require GRE scores.

What do I need to do to get the application/admissions process started?
Please refer to the following link for application information: application.html

Can I be admitted with a BS degree in occupational therapy?
Yes, qualified candidates may be admitted with a bachelor's degree in occupational therapy but will need to complete master's-level requirements before being formally admitted into the OTD program. All applicants must be registered occupational therapists.

Last modified: May 31, 2013