Accelerated Master's Degree in Speech-Language Pathology
This program enables qualified students to earn a bachelor’s degree in speech-language-hearing while also applying 12 hours of 700-level or above course work during the fourth year of study toward the master's degree in speech-language pathology. The master's degree is earned in approximately five years of study.
Only current KU undergraduate students are eligible to apply to the accelerated master's degree program in speech-language pathology.
If you are not a current undergraduate student at KU:
1. Please complete the "Future Jayhawks" inquiry link for the Accelerated MA SLP degree at the bottom of the page,
2. If you are interested in our graduate programs, please review the SLP-MA, and SLP-PhD program webpages.
Please note admission to the graduate program through the traditional process is highly competitive. Students applying to the accelerated master's degree program will be reviewed with other students applying to the traditional program. Similar criteria will be used to select students for both programs.
If a student is not admitted to the accelerated program, they are encouraged to meet with their undergraduate advisor to discuss undergraduate activities to pursue in the fourth year of undergraduate study to become more competitive when reapplying through the traditional process later.
Careful course selection and steady progression through the undergraduate career is necessary to ensure all requirements for both degrees may be completed in approximately five years. All prospective students should discuss their interest in admission to the accelerated program with their SPLH advisor and faculty mentor no later than the student’s second year in college.
Prospective students are eligible to apply to the graduate program in spring semester (Jan 15 deadline) of their third year. The following requirements must be met by this time:
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 is required. An overall 3.0 GPA is also required for courses in the student's major.
- On track to complete all requirements for a bachelor's degree in speech-language-hearing from KU by the end of the spring semester of the student's fourth year.
- The following courses must be complete at the time of application: SPLH 120, SPLH 261, SPLH 462, SPLH 463, SPLH 465, SPLH 466, SPLH 568, and SPLH 571.
Applicants must complete an online application for graduate study following the regular application process.
Upon review of the application for admission, students will be notified by the department of their eligibility to begin course work in the accelerated program. Final acceptance to the graduate program will be contingent upon the following:
- Successful completion of all requirements for the bachelor’s degree.
- Grades of B- or above in all SPLH graduate-level course work taken in year four.
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 for all undergraduate course work (years one through four).
- A GPA of 3.0 for all graduate course work completed in year four.
To express interest and request more information about the Accelerated M.A. SLP program, click one of the links below to complete an inquiry form.
Current KU students
Feb 26, 2019