Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Questions about the Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management

Questions about the online bachelor's degree-completion program for RHITs

Other General Questions

FAQ about the School

See Also:

I'm looking for Health Policy and Management at KU
This program is offered by KU, but not by the Department of Health Information Management or the School of Health Professions. Please see the HP&M website at

KU Hospital Information
The University of Kansas Hospital shares the KU Medical Center campus with KU's academic departments, but is an independent for-profit organization. Please call the main hospital number at 913.588.1227 or visit their Web site for more information about the hospital.

Patient medical records and release of health care information
Patient records and information are managed by The University of Kansas Hospital and should not be sent to the bachelor's degree program offices. Call the hospital's Health Information Management (Medical Records) Department for patient records at 913.588.2454.

The program requires a laptop but I already have one. Can I use the laptop I have?

Yes. If you already have a laptop or tablet, make sure that it meets the computer requirements. If you have not yet purchased a laptop or tablet, then use the requirements as a guide for your purchase. Note: As a KU student, you are eligible for a discount through Dell’s Education Purchase Program, which may be found through the myKUMC portal.

Because owning your own laptop/tablet is a requirement of the program, the expense is eligible for financial aid (up to $2,500). Students are responsible for contacting the financial aid office at 913-588-5170 to complete the appropriate paperwork.

Do all the application materials need to be sent in together?

Not exactly. Please follow the instructions in the application packet carefully so all documents required from the student are properly submitted. We understand that reference letters and transcripts will arrive individually. The other materials should be sent in together. [top]

Do I need to get the background check done when applying to the program?

No, but you will be required to follow the background check procedure once you are accepted into the program and to complete it before you are allowed to enter the program. [top]

Can I take a combined anatomy and physiology course? What if only took a single combined anatomy/physiology course – do I have to take a second course to fulfill the requirement?

You may take a combined anatomy and physiology course; however, the course must be a minimum of 5 credit hours in order to fulfill the anatomy and physiology requirement. If the course does not meet the 5 credit hour minimum, an additional combined anatomy/physiology course (e.g. anatomy and physiology II) or a separate physiology course is required. [top]

Will my financial aid transfer over from KU to KU Medical Center?

No, it does not transfer from KU to KU Medical Center. Contact the KUMC Office of Student Financial Aid at 913-588-5170 or visit their Web site. [top]

Do I need to have completed all the required prerequisites before I apply?

Students may still be enrolled in prerequisite course work during the application period. All prerequisites must be completed before the start of the program. Students with more than 6 credit hours of prerequisite course work remaining by the summer prior to the fall semester start may not be eligible for admission. [top]

I have a bachelor’s degree in another field and now I want to get into health hnformation management. What do I have to do to reach this career goal?

First you need to decide whether you want to pursue another Bachelor’s degree, an Associate’s degree, or build on your education with a Master’s degree. You may want to visit our national association’s website, AHIMA ( to explore your options. Note, a Bachelor’s degree or a Master’s degree in HIM will allow you to sit for the RHIA exam and an Associate’s degree in HIT will allow you to sit for the RHIT exam. A list of accredited programs may be found on CAHIIM’s website ( [top]

I already have a degree from a non-U.S. university and I want to seek admission to the program at KU. What steps do I need to take?

All non-U.S. transcripts must be evaluated by the Office of International Student and Scholar Services. Contact their department at 785-864-2616 or visit their Web site. [top]

Can I work while in the program?

Yes, we encourage students to try to obtain employment in the HIM field. Since the course loads are somewhat heavy, we advise students to only work part-time approximately 20 hours a week. [top]

Can HIM courses be taken as a non-degree-seeking student?

It is not common, but in special cases it may be possible for a student to take an HIM course but not enter the degree program. The instructor of the specific course makes a decision on a case-by-case basis.

Is there any housing available on-campus?

There is no student housing on the KU Medical Center campus. Most students live in apartments in surrounding neighborhoods and are responsible for arranging their own housing. Housing ads are posted on this website. [top]

What sorts of student services are available?

Student service departments include: the Registrar's Office, Student Health Services, Student Counseling and Educational Support Services, Student Financial Aid, Student Resources, Wellness, and Diversity, Kirmayer Fitness Center, and the Student Administration System. [top]

Where should I park when visiting the department?

You may park in either parking garage. Just be sure to bring in your parking ticket so it may be validated. Both parking garages are several building aways from the department's offices and classrooms located in Taylor Building. The only public access available without a security card is found by entering the School of Nursing building (first floor) and continuing to Taylor building's elevator (note: upon entering Taylor, the current floor becomes "2"). Use the elevator to drop to the first floor. [top]

I need driving directions to KU Medical Center.

KU Medical Center is centrally located in the greater Kansas City metro area and easily accessible from I-35 and I-70. The campus resides at 39th Street and Rainbow Boulevard: driving directions. [top]

Alums: how to invest in the future of the program

Please contact the department for more information. [top]

Last modified: Sep 07, 2018

Prospective Students
The priority deadline to apply to this program is February 1. Applications may be accepted after the deadline based on space available in the next class.

More about this program:
Program overview
Eligibility and requirements
Apply online
Tuition and fees
KU Core Courses PDF document


We're here to answer your questions and help you prepare for a rewarding career in health information management. Advising for prospective students is available Monday-Friday by appointment. Please email for scheduling.

For advising on the Lawrence campus, please see the KU Undergraduate Advising Center at (785) 864-2834 or visit Strong Hall Room 132.