How to Apply
Before you begin
- Read the nonacademic technical standards carefully. If matched to KU's dietetic internship program, applicants will be asked to indicate if the standards can be met with or without accommodation.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE): When matched, applicants must arrange for official, complete GRE results, including verbal, quantitative, and analytical scores, to be submitted to KU directly by ETS. The ETS school code for KU Medical Center is 6895, and the department code is 0214. The admission process cannot be completed until GRE scores are received. Applicants will upload GRE scores during the DICAS portion of the process, but these are unofficial scores.
- Have available the names and contact information of three references, including email address. This information will be submitted online. Three recommendation letters are required and may be from faculty, advisers, employers, or others who are familiar with your work and character. Make sure references are willing to submit the reference electronically to DICAS.
- A verification statement or declaration of intent form is required. This form is completed by your didactic program director and must have an original signature. Please confirm this with your program director, as he/she will upload this document directly to DICAS. If matched, the original verification statement document must be submitted to KU.
- If English is a second language, applicants must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), and arrange for scores to be sent directly to the KU Department of Dietetics and Nutrition. A satisfactory score on the TOEFL must be obtained within the previous two (2) years (see guidelines for TOEFL).
- This is also a good time to contact our office to speak with an academic adviser who will help guide you through the admission process.
STEP ONE: DICAS
The program uses the online centralized internship application for dietetic internship programs: DICAS. Applications may be submitted starting December 1, which may be accessed at https://portal.dicas.org. A DICAS application fee is required.
The online application must be completed by 11:59 p.m. Central Standard Time on February 15.
When completing the application form, applicants must include the name and contact information (specifically an e-mail address) for each reference. This triggers an e-mail message requesting completion of a reference form. The form will be completed online.
Applicants who apply to internships using DICAS will be asked to complete a personal statement of no more than 1000 words. Questions to be addressed in the personal statement include:
Why do you want to enter the dietetics profession?
Discuss experiences that have helped to prepare you for your career,
What are your short-term and long-term goals?
What are your strengths and weaknesses or areas needing improvement?
Students must request transcripts of all college course work be sent from past academic institutions and have them forwarded directly to DICAS. Please send official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended to the following address:
PO Box 9118
Watertown, MA 02472
Transcripts need to verify a bachelor's degree (with date received) and all prerequisite course work has been completed. For applicants matched with KU who had not completed a degree or all prerequisites at the time of DICAS application, a second set of official transcripts will need to be provided to KU closer to the start of the program to verify all requirements have been met.
STEP TWO: KU Medical Center Online Application and Fee
Once DICAS materials have been received and verified, you will receive email correspondence from the program director inviting you to begin the final steps of the application process through CollegeNet. Supplemental application materials will be submitted through the CollegeNet link provided in the registrar’s email.
Applications are not reviewed until the KU application fee and all of the requested information is received.
STEP THREE: D&D Computer Match
Applicants must also complete the computer match process and indicate KU as one of the desired institutions for enrollment by 11:59 p.m. Central Time on February 15. For information on the process and computer match forms, contact your didactic program director or D&D Digital Systems at www.dnddigital.com.
Inquiries or Updates: Please call (913) 588-5355 for inquiries about the application process or to check the status of a submitted application.
Notification: In April, D&D Digital notifies all internship applicants of their match status. Matched applicants must contact the program director by phone, e-mail or fax within 24 hours of receiving the notice to indicate whether they will accept the internship position. [D&D digital computer match]
Acceptance: The program director sends accepted applicants a letter verifying acceptance of the internship position and additional information needed for admission. KU's Office of Graduate Studies notifies applicants of the conditions of admission and admission status.
Guidelines for Second Round Selection Process
Second round applications are accepted if the program has openings after the first-round match.
- In mid-April, the program may contact applicants from the original ranked list for KU's program that did not match in the first round.
- New confirmed applicants selected from the unmatched list are reported to D & D Digital.
- Shortly thereafter, second round applications may be received for review for second-round match. Applications will be reviewed on the DICAS website. Once a complete application is received on DICAS, the applicant receives an email stating how to apply online to KU and pay the KU application fee.
- Selections to fill vacant positions occurs in late April.
- More info: computer matching policy and procedures, calendar and deadlines
Mar 20, 2018