BEFORE COMPLETING THE APPLICATION, PLEASE CONTACT A CLS ADVISOR TO REVIEW YOUR PREREQUISITE COURSES. Failure to contact an advisor could result in a delay in your start date to the program if it is discovered that you are missing prerequisite courses or if certain courses you have already taken are deemed to be not transferable to the University of Kansas.
Before you start the online application
It will be helpful if you have the following information ready before starting the online application:
- Personal Goals Statement: Please explain why you are interested in pursuing this profession, experiences or activities that have helped you prepare to enter a CLS program, your personal and professional goals, why you feel you would be successful in our program, etc.
- References: Have available the names and contact information (including email addresses) of three (3) individuals who can provide a professional recommendation on your behalf. At least two (2) of the references must be science instructors, preferably laboratory instructors (these may be graduate teaching assistants). The third may be completed by an employer or an instructor in an area other than science. Recommendations will not be accepted if they come from friends or family members. Make sure they are willing to submit the reference electronically, and inform them that they will be receiving an email from “KU Medical Center<firstname.lastname@example.org>” requesting them to submit a reference for you online.
- Course Work Plan: Have ready a list of all courses in which you are currently enrolled, and in which you plan to enroll to complete the prerequisites. All required course work must be complete prior to the start date of our program. You will need to list for each course the course number, title, credit Hours, and institution attended.
- Shadow Documentation: Applicants are required to participate in a minimum of two hours of shadowing activity in a hospital laboratory work environment to ensure that they are fully aware of the type of work performed by medical laboratory scientists.
- Employment History: We are interested in paid employment positions held while attending college classes. Please provide the approximate number of hours per week worked per semester, the number of credit hours enrolled while employed, each semester's GPA, the name of the employer, and job responsibilities. Applicants are not penalized if they have not worked while attending college.
- Review the program's Technical Standards and Requirements, which describes the abilities and expectations of all students in the KU Clinical Laboratory Science program. Before submitting the application, students must acknowledge having read this document.
- English Language Proficiency: All applicants must verify English language proficiency, even those whose first language is English. If required, the TOEFL, TSE, and/or SPEAK tests must have been taken within the two years prior to your application. Official documentation must be sent directly from the administering agency to KUMC using ETS school code 6895. Failure to submit official documentation will delay the admission process.
- Transcripts: Arrange to have one official copy of each transcript from every college and university that you have attended, both graduate and undergraduate,sent directly to KU Medical Center at the address below:
Student Services / Office of Admissions
Mail Stop 4029
3901 Rainbow Blvd
Kansas City, KS 66160
Note: KU students do not need to send official transcripts for course work completed or in progress at KU, but KU students will need to send official transcripts from any other school(s) attended.
An applicant is considered an international student if he or she requires a visa, or currently resides in the U.S. with non-immigrant status, or currently resides in the U.S. while applying for permanent residency. Additional requirements and documentation, such as proof of English language proficiency, are required for international students to become eligible for KU programs. Please review the information for international students before applying.
Online Application and Fee
Applicants must submit their initial application and pay the non-refundable application fee online by the posted deadline.
Using the link above, please submit your completed application and pay the $60 application fee. The application fee is paid when you click SUMBIT from the online application. Applicants can pay by Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express or by Electronic Check. U.S. banks only. Application fees are non-refundable. Electronic checks will be held for approximately six business days while the check clears. Applications are not reviewed until all of the requested information is received.
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University's programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785) 864-6414, 711 TTY.
Apr 01, 2013