Policy on Drug-Free and Alcohol Assistance Programs

The University of Kansas Medical Center is interested in the health and well-being of its students, faculty, and staff. At some time, members of the University community may be faced with a variety of personal problems which may affect their wellness and job performance. While some people attempt to deal with such problems on their own, there may be times when professional assistance can be helpful.

It is in the best interest of the University, its students, and employees to provide assistance to those with personal problems involving alcohol, drugs, family, marriage, finances, emotions or other conditions which may interfere with work attendance, productivity, and the ability to get along with co-workers. The University believes that an effective Drug-Free/Alcohol Assistance Program encourages wellness and promotes efficiency of its students, faculty, and staff members.

Drug abuse is against the law and the University may institute disciplinary proceedings for the use of controlled substances in the workplace or other violations of the drug-free workplace policy. To avoid these adverse situations, the University encourages its students and employees to seek counseling and assistance from on-campus and community resources.

The KUMC's Employee and Student Assistance Program is designed to provide information, assessment and referral services to help faculty, staff, and student members identify problems and develop lifestyles that are physically and emotionally healthy. The University wants to encourage identification of problems at the earliest possible stage to motivate faculty, staff, and student members or their family to seek assistance.

There are a number of resources available to KUMC employees and students for personal problems:

  1. The Department of Psychiatry offers a full range of inpatient, outpatient, and emergency services for the diagnosis and treatment of personal problems, including chemical dependency; the department is professionally staffed by psychiatrists, psychologists, and social workers, and appointments may be made through the Psychiatry Clinic or individually through the private practices of these faculty members. Information about these services can be obtained by calling the Department of Psychiatry at 913-588-6400.

  2. The Kansas Medical Society offers confidential assistance to physicians, medical students, and residents suffering from chemical dependency as well as other forms of impairment through their Impaired Physician Program and Impaired Medical Student and Resident Program; the Kansas Medical Society can be reached (from Kansas) at 1-800-332-0156. Informational brochures about these programs can be obtained from the Student Center or the Dean's Office, School of Medicine.

  3. Also available to KUMC students are services from the Student Counseling and Educational Support Services located on the ground floor of the Student Center, Room G116. These resources are staffed by professional-level or practicum therapists.

  4. The Kansas Nurses Assistance Program is contracted with the Kansas State Board of Nursing, to provide an opportunity for a nurse with alcohol or other drug problems or physical or psychological difficulties to obtain confidential assistance and, if patient care has been jeopardized, it is an alternative to disciplinary action by the Kansas State Board of Nursing. Kansas Nurses Assistance Program may be reached at 913-236-7575 for assistance.

  5. An additional source of assistance for employees is the State Lifeline, 24-hour, toll-free assistance line (1-800-284-7575); if referred through the Lifeline, the first counseling session is paid by the State. All contacts are kept in strict confidence.

  6. Faculty, staff, and student members may also contact or be referred to off-campus resources as appropriate. Counseling costs are often covered by health insurance with proper referral from the employee's or student's primary health care provider

  7. The decision to seek counseling may be that of the employee or student, or there may be situations where referral is recommended by a supervisor, instructor, or advisor when performance or behavior problems have been observed. A supervisor, instructor, or advisor should not attempt to diagnose a problem when a problem affecting productivity has been observed. Supervisors should encourage the faculty, staff, or student member to correct any employment deficiency and to seek professional assistance.

Last modified: Mar 19, 2013