Campus Security and the Clery Act Overview

The University of Kansas, through the University Police Department, makes several safety and security reports available to its community and to prospective students and employees. These reports provide important information, including several items for which federal law requires disclosure. The "Annual Security Report" is published annually and contains the following information. You can find the Annual Security Reports for the KUMC campuses (Kansas City, Salina and Wichita) here

  • campus policy regarding the reporting of criminal activity;
  • campus policy concerning facility safety and access;
  • campus policy concerning law enforcement;
  • information regarding security and crime-prevention programs;
  • campus policy for the recording of off campus-criminal activity;
  • campus policy regarding the sale, possession and use of alcohol and illegal drugs;
  • information regarding drug and alcohol education programs;
  • campus policy regarding sexual assault programs to prevent sex offenses and procedures to follow when sex offenses occur;
  • crime statistics for the three most recent calendar years, to include crimes due to hate or bias;
  • policies for making timely warnings to the campus community on events that represent a threat to their safety; and
  • policies regarding firearms and weapons on campus.

While the University of Kansas Medical Center strives to provide a safe environment, criminal incidents and other emergencies do occur despite reasonable efforts.

It is crucial that you report criminal incidents affecting personal safety, state property and business to the University Police Department on a timely basis. If you are the victim of any crime or witness a crime, call 9-1-1 to reach police assistance and emergency medical treatment. If you are on campus, you can also contact the police by emergency blue phones located throughout the university. Blue Phone Locations

Anonymous reports of crime may be made by calling the Kansas City area Crime Stoppers TIPS Hot line at 816-474-TIPS.

The University Police Department depends on these reports to allocate its resources most effectively. Therefore, to maximize crime prevention efforts and facilitate the arrest and conviction of criminals, all crime must be promptly reported to the University Police Department. This information goes into monthly and annual reports. Information from these reports as well as from the city police department is used by the University Police Department to prepare the "Campus Security Report" to comply with the Jeanne Clergy Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crimes Statistics Act.

Each year, a portal announcement is made as well as e-mail notification to all employees, faculty and enrolled students that provides the web site to access for this report. Copies of the report may also be obtained from the University Police Department located in Suite #115 of the Support Services Facility or by calling 913-588-5191.

Campus Facility Security and Access

In addition to its law enforcement function, the University Police Department also has the authority and responsibility over security matters on campus including the establishment of schedules for the securing of perimeter doors and access to facilities after hours. Students and employees are required to carry their issued photo identification and after hours access card while on campus and to present the I.D. upon request to police officers and other university officials. Facilities and buildings are restricted for use by authorized visitors and members of the university community. Your photo identification card has the capability of serving as an access card to allow you to enter certain locked areas of campus outside of regular business hours. If you are a university student or employee and you need assistance in gaining entry to a non restricted area, you may call the University Police at 913-588-5030.

University police officers and security officers regularly patrol the exterior and interior of campus buildings throughout the night, weekends, and holidays. Building patrols are conducted during normal business hours as well. University police officers and security officers regularly report lock and security hardware failures to Facilities Maintenance.

Crime prevention security surveys of campus facilities are conducted by qualified university police officers and recommendations are made concerning alarm systems, security measures for key and cash control, and physical modifications to enhance particular areas or building security. University departments wishing to request a facility security survey should contact the University Police Department at 913-588-5030.

Exterior campus lighting is essential to creating a safe campus environment. Parking lots and parking structures are lighted after dark. Walkways and most campus building exteriors are lighted during the hours of darkness. Maintenance, custodial, landscape, police and parking personnel advise Facilities Management of any lighting outages that occur.

Facilities Management replaces lamps as required. You are encouraged to report exterior or interior lighting problems by calling Facilities Management Production Control at 913-588-7928.

Landscape Services personnel trim trees, vines, shrubs, and other vegetation on a regular basis to maintain campus security. Obstructing vegetation is trimmed away from pedestrian walkways, building entrances, windows, and lighting fixtures. You are encouraged to report any specific concern regarding vegetation to Landscape Services at 913-588-5188.

Police Authority and Service for KU Medical Center

The department is a fully commissioned law enforcement agency established by the University of Kansas. University police officers are granted authority by statue (K.S.A. 76-726 & 22-2401a) to enforce the laws of the state of Kansas, county resolutions and city ordinances. KU police jurisdiction includes property owned or operated by KU, property immediately adjacent to the campus, and in certain circumstances, property off campus. The department has an authorized strength of 32 police officers (with the authority to arrest), 28 security officers, and support staff to include communications operators, records employees and clerical staff. Major divisions within the department include Police Services, Community Services, and Special Services.

This authority to KU police includes provisions for 24 hour patrols, response to emergency situations, receipt of reports, detailed criminal investigations, and coordination with other agencies of the criminal justice system, including city and state prosecutors' offices. KU Police has well established relationships with all area police agencies including Kansas City , Kansas Police,  the Kansas Bureau of Investigation, and various other local, state , and federal law enforcement agencies. These relationships are maintained through periodic communication among agency administrators and by frequent contact between line officers and investigators cooperating on specific cases. In addition, a formal written agreement exists between the University and the Unified Government of Wyandotte County addressing mutual aid and extended law enforcement authority.

Firearms and Weapons

Policy Statement

In accordance with long-standing administrative policies of the University of Kansas, KUMC prohibits the carry of weapons of any type on our campuses. This policy applies to all students, including those licensed for concealed carry. Similarly, this policy prohibits employees from concealed carry on campus except when in private conveyances. The only exceptions are those recognized under the State of Kansas Personal Family and Protection Act (K.S.A. 75-7c01 et. seq.), for the concealed carry of handguns by licensed visitors and guests. Such visitors and guests, even if licensed for concealed carry of handguns, may never bring handguns into any building (other than parking garages) on the KU Medical Center campuses in Kansas City and Wichita.

Crime Prevention Programs

The University Police are involved in various programs to educate students, employees and the nearby community in the area of Crime Prevention. Officers make crime prevention presentations in hospital employee orientations, state employee orientations, School of Nursing orientations, and for the School of Allied Health. During each academic year, KU Police provide crime prevention presentations each month. These include programs on personal protection, violence in the workplace, and theft preventions classes that are given several times annually. KU Police Officers perform security audits for employees, students, and other organizations or departments upon request, including recommendations for access and surveillance systems.

Anyone wishing further information on any of the programs, or information on how so arrange for a presentation may contact Community Services at 588-5178.

Crime Prevention Awareness

Off-Campus Crime Reporting

KU Medical Center does not have officially recognized student organizations (fraternities and sororities) with off campus housing facilities. Off-campus university property is used for administrative or support functions, and is not frequently used by students. In general, the University community is reminded that with any campus there is crime both on and off-campus and that it is important to take reasonable pre-cautions at all times. KU Police will assist in determining an appropriate point of contact for police matters outside the scope of the University.

Alcohol and Drug Use Policy

The University of Kansas prohibits the unlawful possession, use, manufacture, or distribution of alcohol or drugs by students and employees on its property.

The University is committed to a program to prevent the abuse of alcohol and the illegal use of drugs by students and employees. Any student or employee of the University found to be abusing alcohol or using, possessing, manufacturing, or distributing controlled substances in violation of the law on University property or at University events shall be subject to disciplinary action in accordance with applicable policies of the State of Kansas, the Board of Regents, and the University of Kansas. Students who violate this policy will be subject to sanctions which include suspension and expulsion from the University.

Students and employees are reminded that illegal possession or use drugs or alcohol may also subject individuals to criminal prosecution. The University will refer violations of proscribed conduct to appropriate authorities for prosecution. Kansas law provides that sale, distributing, or manufacturing opiates and narcotics, such as cocaine and heroin, shall be guilty of a Class C felony. For a conviction of a Class C felony, the court may sentence a person to a term of imprisonment of a minimum of 3 to 5 years, a maximum of 10 to 20 years, and a fine of up to $15,000. Unlawful possession of a depressant, stimulant or hallucinogenic drug is punishable as a Class A misdemeanor; with a penalty of up to one year in jail and a fine or $2,500. Depressants include barbiturates, Valium, and barbital. Hallucinogens include LSD, marijuana, and psilocybin. State law classifies amphetamines and methamphetamine as stimulants.

The Federal Controlled Substances Act provides penalties of up to 15 years' imprisonment and fines of up to $25,000 for unlawful distribution or possession with the intent to distribute narcotics. For unlawful possession of a controlled substance, a person is subject to up to one year of imprisonment and fines up to $5,000. Any person who unlawfully distributes a controlled substance to a person under twenty-one years of age may be punished by up to twice the term of imprisonment and fine otherwise authorized by law.

Accidents and injuries are more likely to occur if alcohol and drugs are used on University property or as part of University activities. Every year in the United States, over 200,000 people are treated in hospitals for drug-related accidents and mental and physical illness; another 25,000 die every year from drug-related accidents or health problems. Drug tolerance and psychological dependence can develop after sustained use of drugs. More specifically, physical dependency, heart problems, infections, malnutrition, and death may result from continued high does of amphetamines. Chronic use of narcotics can cause lung damage, convulsions, respiratory paralysis, and death. Depressants, such as tranquilizers and alcohol, can produce slowed reactions, slower heart rate, damage to liver and heart, respiratory arrest, convulsions, and accidental overdoses, because the abuser is unaware of how much of the drug or alcohol has been taken. Use of hallucinogens may cause psychosis, convulsions, coma, and psychological dependency.

Alcoholism is the number one drug problem in the United Sates. Alcoholism takes a toll on personal lives by affecting finances, health, social relationships, and families and can have significant legal consequences. Abuse of alcohol or use of drugs may cause an individual driving a motor vehicle to injure others and may subject the abuser to criminal prosecution. Drunk drivers are responsible for more than half of all traffic fatalities.

The term "controlled substance" as used in this policy means those substances included in Schedules I through V as defined by Section 812 of Title 21 of the United States Code and as further defined by the Code of Federal Regulations, 21 C.F.R. 1300.11 through 1300.15. The term does not include the use of a controlled substance pursuant to a valid prescription of other uses authorized by law.

The term "alcohol" as used in this policy means any product of distillation of a fermented liquid which is intended for human consumption and which is more than 3.2% alcohol by weight as defined in Chapter 41 of the Kansas statutes.

Policy on Drug-Free/ Alcohol Assistance Programs

The University of Kansas Medical Center is interested in the health and well-being of its students, faculty, and staff. At some time, members of the University community may be faced with a variety of personal problems which may affect their wellness and job performance. While some people attempt to deal with such problems on their own, there may be times when professional assistance can be helpful.

It is in the best interest of the University, its students, and employees to provide assistance to those with personal problems involving alcohol, drugs, family, marriage, finances, emotions or other conditions which may interfere with work attendance, productivity, and the ability to get along with coworkers. The University believes that an effective Drug-Free/Alcohol Assistance Program encourages wellness and promotes efficiency of its students, faculty, and staff members.

Drug abuse is against the law and the University may institute disciplinary proceedings for the use of controlled substances in the workplace or other violations of the drug-free workplace policy. To avoid these adverse situations, the University encourages its students and employees to seek counseling and assistance from on-campus and community resources.

The KUMC's Employee and Student Assistance Program is designed to provide information, assessment and referral services to help faculty, staff, and student members identify problems and develop lifestyles that are physically and emotionally healthy. The University wants to encourage identification of problems at the earliest possible stage to motivate faculty, staff, and student members or their family to seek assistance.

There are a number of resources available to KUMC employees and students for personal problems:

  1. The Department of Psychiatry offers a full range of inpatient, outpatient, and emergency services for the diagnosis and treatment of personal problems, including chemical dependency; the department is professionally staffed by psychiatrists, psychologists, and social workers, and appointments may be made through the Psychiatry Clinic or individually through the private practices of these faculty members. Information about these services can be obtained by calling the Department of Psychiatry at 913-588-6400.
  2. The Kansas Medical Society offers confidential assistance to physicians, medical students, and residents suffering from chemical dependency as well as other forms of impairment through their Impaired Physician Program and Impaired Medical Student and Resident Program; the Kansas Medical Society can be reached (from Kansas) at 1-800-332-0156. Informational brochures about these programs can be obtained from the Student Center or the Dean's Office, School of Medicine.
  3. Also available to KUMC students are services from the Counseling and Educational Support Services located on the ground floor of the Student Center, Room G116. These resources are staffed by professional-level or practicum therapists.
  4. The Kansas Nurses Assistance Program is contracted with the Kansas State Board of Nursing, to provide an opportunity for a nurse with alcohol or other drug problems or physical or psychological difficulties to obtain confidential assistance and, if patient care has been jeopardized, it is an alternative to disciplinary action by the Kansas State Board of Nursing. Kansas Nurses Assistance Program may be reached at 913-236-7575 for assistance.
  5. An additional source of assistance for employees is the State Lifeline, 24-hour, toll-free assistance line (1-800-284-7575); if referred through the Lifeline, the first counseling session is paid by the State. All contacts are kept in strict confidence.
  6. Faculty, staff, and student members may also contact or be referred to off-campus resources as appropriate. Counseling costs are often covered by health insurance with proper referral from the employee's or student's primary health care provider
  7. The decision to seek counseling may be that of the employee or student, or there may be situations where referral is recommended by a supervisor, instructor, or advisor when performance or behavior problems have been observed. A supervisor, instructor, or advisor should not attempt to diagnose a problem when a problem affecting productivity has been observed. Supervisors should encourage the faculty, staff, or student member to correct any employment deficiency and to seek professional assistance.

Policy And Prevention Concerning Sexual Assault

Link to Kansas Registered Sex Offenders  Maintained by the Kansas Bureau of Investigation at

Link to Missouri Registered Sex Offenders  Maintained by the Missouri State Highway Patrol at

Sexual assaults violate the dignity of the individual and undermine the University of Kansas Medical Center as a caring institution within which to learn and work. The intent of the university is to provide as much educational information about the nature of sexual assaults as possible and how these attacks can be prevented.

The university also intends to provide resources for those who have been sexually assaulted and to administer appropriate consequences to those who have been judged responsible for sexually assaultive acts. The university intends to provide a fair hearing to all parties in cases of alleged sexual assault and to offer support and care for victims of sexual assault.

Sexual assault defined. A sexual assault is an act of rape, forcible sodomy, sexual penetration, however slight, of another person's anal or genital opening with an object. The unwanted touch of anyone's intimate parts (defined as genitalia, groin, breast, buttocks or clothing covering them) or forcing an unwilling person to touch another's intimate parts are also assaultive behaviors. These acts must be committed either by force, threat, intimidation or through the use of the victim's mental or physical helplessness of which the accused was aware or should have been aware.

Sexual assault policy. No form of sexual assault will be tolerated or condoned at the University of Kansas Medical Center. This policy prohibits those acts defined as sexual assaults as well as attempts to coerce sexual activity upon an unwilling person. The university will take action against those who violate this policy.

Prevention of sexual assault. In order to implement this policy, the university will engage in timely educational activities to inform members of the community about what sexual actions are unacceptable and how assaultive situations can be prevented and avoided.

ESCORTS TO YOUR CAR: During hours of darkness, University Police are willing to escort you to your car or residence if you live in the immediate area around the campus. Call extension 85030 for this service. Security Escort Service

The University of Kansas Police Department provides crime prevention and rape awareness information at student orientation sessions for all newly enrolled students at the KU Medical Center campus. The department also delivers educational programs periodically throughout each academic year that are accessible to the student population through appropriate scheduling.

KU Police will deliver specialized programs about the prevention of sexual assault upon request. The department will also work in cooperation with other training offered by organizations such as Metropolitan Organization to Counter Sexual Assault (MOCSA).

Procedures for Reporting Sexual Assault

Any individual may report an incident that she/he perceives to be a sexual assault. Victims of sexual assaults will be encouraged and assisted to report the assault to proper law enforcement authorities. The university has established procedures for investigating and administering sanctions in instances of sexual assaults, which include the following:

  • University police should be notified immediately of an incident. The purposes of this initial contact are to render immediate assistance to the victim and to protect evidence associated with the assault. Victims of sexual assault should not wash or change clothes until after they have been examined by emergency medical staff. Normally, the attacker will leave evidence vitally important to prosecuting the case successfully.

CARING ASSISTANCE: KU police will render immediate, caring assistance to the victim and seek out the perpetrator of the crime.  A specially trained KU Police Officer will serve as liaison throughout the investigation and any subsequent action. The Officer will explain the forensics, investigative, and procedural aspects of making a police report.  University officials will also assist in notifying other law enforcement agencies if requested by the victim.  The University strongly encourages pastoral and professional counselors be offered to the victims of sexual assaults. Support services are available from the KU Police and the Director of the Counseling Center.

The emergency room phone number, 588-6500, at KU Medical Center should be contacted so that immediate psychological and/or medical support can be provided to the victim. The goals of this intervention are to stabilize the victim's condition, to present the victim alternatives for continuing support, and to present options for redressing the assault through administrative and/or civil procedures. The Director of Counseling Center's (Department Student Services) assistance will be sought.

Although the university strongly feels that all crimes should be reported to proper law enforcement authorities, the final decision to make a criminal offense report to the police lies with the victim. The victim's willingness to assist the authorities in their investigation will largely determine the eventual outcome of the case and possible prevention of future crimes. The officer will assist the victim in filing a complaint and to receive medical attention if she/he wishes to do so. Crimes not reported to the KU Police may be reported, on a confidential basis, to the Director of the Counseling Center.  These crimes will be included in the annual disclosure of crime statistics.

Once a report of an on-campus sexual criminal incident has been received, the University Police Department shall conduct an investigation independent of any other investigation which the university shall deem necessary. Upon completion of such criminal investigation, university police shall submit its findings to the appropriate prosecutor's office for determination of the filing of criminal charges.

If assistance outside the Medical Center is desired, contact can be made with MOCSA at 816-931-4527.

  • The Director of the Counseling Center will notify the Dean of Student Services that a sexual assault of a student has occurred. With the victim's permission, a report of the incident will be submitted to the Dean, and the administrative review and action procedures will be initiated.

Administrative Review Procedures

The Director of the Counseling Center will convene a review panel consisting of the Director, the medical doctor assigned to Student Health and a faculty member. Notice of charges and date of hearing will be communicated to the accuser and the accused by the review panel. The University will change a victim's academic situation after an alleged sex offense if requested by the victim to the Dean's Office and if reasonably available.
The hearing by the review panel will allow (a) a full examination of the evidence presented by both parties; including the opportunity to cross examine witness and (b) both parties to have another person present. Both the accused and accuser will be informed of the outcome of such hearing and any person found guilty of committing a sexual offense will be subject to University sanctions up to, and including, immediate suspension or dismissal.

The review panel has the discretion to outline procedures to be followed during the proceedings.

Administrative Action

The panel will determine from the established facts if a sexual assault occurred and if the accused is responsible for the assault. If both are true, then the panel will report its findings to the Dean of Student Services. The Dean shall administer appropriate sanctions which can include suspension, dismissal or probation. Both parties will be informed of the outcome.


Appeal of the Dean's decision is through the student grievance procedures as outlined by each school (School of Allied Health, School of Graduate Studies, School of Medicine, and School of Nursing). Both the accused and accuser have access to these grievance procedures and both will reference their respective schools.

Conflict Resolution

In Search of an equitable solution:

Communities establish rules in order to protect the rights of all. Your rights are explained in the Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities and other policies of the university. If you feel your rights have been infringed, there are established processes for resolution. Likewise, if your circumstances warrant a valid exception to a rule, you have a right to justify your claim.

Knowing where to go, knowing who is responsible for what, and knowing how best to present your case are important factors in resolving conflicts. The University Ombudsman and the Dean of Student Services know the systems and how they operate. You can go to them for advice and direction.

Crime Statistics and Reports

The University Police Department believes that a well informed community remains a safety conscious one. Numerous efforts are made to keep you and other members of the campus community informed about campus crime and crime related problems. Written reports are made of all crimes reported to the University Police. A daily crime log is available to the news media or other interested persons and may be obtained through the University Police Department, Police Records Unit, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The Crime Log is also available on the University Police web site.

Link to Kansas Registered Sex Offenders  Maintained by the Kansas Bureau of Investigation at

Link to Missouri Registered Sex Offenders  Maintained by the Missouri State Highway Patrol at

Timely Warning Policy

University Police Department authority also covers the distribution of information to the university community of crimes that, in the professional judgment of the Chief of University Police, the Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor, of appointed designee officials in a position of authority, may be considered a threat to the safety of students and employees.  KU Police monitors off-campus criminal activity that may affect the University community. These timely warnings will include electronic mail, "In the Center", portal announcements, school and departmental mail distribution.

We depend on your assistance and cooperation to keep the KU Medical Center campus as safe as possible. Report suspected criminal activities to the KU Police Department by calling 9-1-1 or using an emergency blue phone.

While it is preferable that all crimes be reported the the KU Police Department, you may also report crimes to the following:

  • Dean, School of Medicine at 913-588-5268
  • Dean, School of Allied Health at 913-588-5235
  • Dean, School of Nursing at 913-588-1601
  • Counseling and Educational Support Services at 913-588-6580

Because police reports are public records under state law, the KU Police Department cannot hold reports of crime in confidence. However, the names of victims of sexual crimes are held in strict confidence. All reports will be investigated. The University does not have procedures for voluntary, confidential reporting of crime statistics.

Anonymous reports of crime may be made by calling the Kansas City area Crime Stoppers TIPS Hotline at 816-474-TIPS.

Emergency Response and Evacuation Procedures

Upon confirmation of a significant emergency or dangerous situation involving an immediate threat to the health or safety of students or employees occurring on the campus, the University will, without delay, and taking into account the safety of the community, determine the content of the notification and initiate the notification system, unless issuing a notification will, in the professional judgment of responsible authorities, compromise efforts to assist a victim or contain, respond to, or otherwise mitigate the emergency.

Tornado Warnings - KUPD Dispatch will issue warnings to the Switchboard, and via both Alertus and Rave upon receipt of a specific Tornado Warning by Skyguard targeted for the campus, or when specifically instructed by the on-duty supervisor or Police Command Staff Member.

Active Shooter Incident - One of the initial responding police officers will initiate the Incident Command System and immediately follow system protocol in handling the incident.  This person shall make the determination of type and content of the Emergency Warnings to implement.

All other situations will follow the Emergency  Management Plan as determined by the Responsible Person(s) in the table below.

Emergency Management

The University has adopted an Emergency Management Plan to guide emergency management and coordination of all phases of emergency management operations. Confirmation of a significant emergency or dangerous situation involving an immediate threat to health or safety is carried out in accordance with the Plan. For more information on KUMC Emergency Management, visit the homepage, or email 

Authority for Plan Implementation and Responsibility for Plan Activation


Responsible Person

Alternate Responsible Person

Authority to implement the KUMC Emergency Management Plan (including activation of Emergency Operations Center)

Executive Vice Chancellor

Vice Chancellor for Administration

Activation of the Plan in response to on-site incidents

Senior Police Officer on Duty, until relieved

Activation of Emergency Operations Center

Vice Chancellor for Administration

Police Chief


Warnings and Communication

Communications and warnings are vital to the safety and well-being of individuals during an emergency.  Emergency communications to individuals on the campus is the responsibility of the KUMC Police.  n the event of an emergency, the KUMC Police will coordinate internal (KUMC) and external (off-site emergency services agencies) communications. The Police Department will initiate contact with other personnel as needed to address the emergency.

Emergency Communications Systems use is strictly limited to actual emergency notifications to assure that people do not disregard messages. When Emergency Communication Systems must be tested, well-publicized notifications (via e-mail or other forms of internal communication) must be broadcast prior to the testing.

Official public communication will be provided to the news media by the Public Information/Media Officer. The location for the news media to meet for any briefings will be outside the front entry of the Murphy Administration Building, if available.

Several communications systems are in place enabling internal and external emergency communication. Warnings will be issued whenever an emergency situation exists that could present a hazard to individuals present on KUMC property. Depending on the emergency, one or more of the following emergency notification methods will be used.


Alertus is an all-hazard alert system comprised of wall-mounted notification beacons to disseminate vital information. The public is signaled with sirens and strobes, and a text display informs what the emergency is and how to respond. The wall-mounted units located across campus are controlled by the KUMC Police. Notifications can be addressed to localized areas such as buildings or extend to the entire campus.

The Alertus units function as a way for the KU Medical Center police department to communicate with the campus in real time during an emergency. These emergencies include:

  • Severe weather that requires immediate action,
  • Situations that affect public safety, or
  • Environmental dangers to the campus.

If the Alertus system is activated, unless otherwise notified that a test is being conducted, individuals are in a life-threatening situation and should follow directions in subsequent communications. If there is an emergency, the following communications will take place:

  • The sounding of each Alertus module's alarm and flashing lights, along with a text message on the unit's display board,
  • A simultaneous emergency broadcast e-mail will be sent to each university e-mail account known as the Emergent-e-mail system, and
  • If the individual has opted in to the campus RAVE alert system, they will receive a text message on their cell phone.

If there is an emergency, persons inside KUMC buildings should follow directions on the Alertus unit, in the e-mail and on the text message. These messages will communicate the appropriate action to take in response to the emergency.

Individuals are encouraged to take time to locate the nearest Alertus unit and the nearest wall-mounted Emergency Information and Evacuation Plan posting which will show the nearest exit and shelter from that location


RAVE is a wireless warning system offered as an "opt-in" notification system. The system provides emergency notification capability using the text messaging capability of cellular phones or phone-enabled devices.

If individuals have not opted in to the RAVE text messaging alert system and they wish to do so, go to: and log on to the KUMC Campus page using their KUMC ID and system password. From there, they need to click on Emergency Contact Info, and follow the directions to update their contact information.


The total evacuation of the campus will seldom be necessary. However, limited area or building evacuations are likely to occur. The most likely cause of an evacuation would be due to a fire.

When fire alarms are activated, all personnel and visitors should leave the premises as soon as possible and evacuate to the designated evacuation area as identified in the building's posted Emergency Information signs.

The most likely reason to seek emergency shelter on campus would be due to severe weather conditions such as tornados, straight-line winds, hail, etc. The KUMC Police monitor weather conditions and will send out notifications to faculty, students and staff when severe weather is approaching and will advise that shelter should be taken using the various communications systems used on campus. When these notifications are made, personnel should take shelter in the building's designated shelter areas indicated on the posted Emergency Information signs.

 When sheltering is required, the Alertus, Emergent e-mail, RAVE and Leader Alert communication systems will be used to provide information, instructions and updates.

Most KUMC buildings have accessible exits at the ground-level floor that can be used during an emergency. In many buildings people can move into unaffected wings of the building rather than exiting. However, in most KUMC buildings, people located on floors above ground level will need to use stairways or evacuation sleds to reach building exits. Elevators cannot be used because they have been shown to be unsafe in emergencies and in some buildings they are automatically recalled to the ground floor.

Evacuation Options Persons who do not require assistance must evacuate to the nearest exit. Persons who do need assistance with disabilities have five basic evacuation options:

Horizontal evacuation: using building exits to the outside ground level or, on upper floors, going into unaffected wings or smoke divisions of multi-building complexes.

Stairway evacuation: using steps to reach ground level exits from the building.

Sled evacuation: using evacuation sled to reach ground level exits from the building.

Stay in Place: unless danger is imminent, remaining in a room with an exterior window, a telephone and a solid or fire-resistant door. With this approach, the person may keep in contact with emergency services by dialing 911 and reporting his or her location directly. Emergency services will immediately relay this location to on-site emergency personnel, who will determine the necessity for evacuation. Phone lines are expected to remain in service during most building emergencies. If the phone lines fail, the individual can signal from the window by waving a cloth or other visible object. The Stay in Place approach may be more appropriate for sprinkler-protected building or buildings where an "area of refuge" is not nearby or available. It may also be more appropriate for an occupant who is alone when the alarm sounds. A "solid" or fire-resistant door can be identified by a fire label on the jam and frame. Non-labeled 1¾-inch thick solid core wood doors hung on a metal frame also offer good fire resistance.

Area of Refuge: with an evacuation assistant, (any person who is willing and able to assist persons needing assistance) go to an area of refuge, as designated on campus wide evacuation maps. Areas of Refuge will vary based on the type of emergency. The evacuation assistant will then notify the on-site emergency personnel of the location of the person needing assistance. Emergency personnel will determine if further evacuation is necessary. For assistance in identifying Areas of Refuge, call the Environment, Health & Safety Office at 913-588-1081.

Training and Exercises

Orientations, drills, tabletop, functional and/or full-scale exercises will be conducted annually to test emergency management functions. All exercises will be critiqued, and any identified deficiencies or gaps will be corrected in a timely manner through a documented corrective action process. This will include an evaluation of any "lockdown" procedures that were employed during an exercise.

To be effective, the Plan, its contents, and the interaction of responsibilities must be known and understood by all individuals accountable for its implementation. The Police Chief, Director of the Environment, Health & Safety Office, as well as the Emergency Management Planning Committee, will provide education and training opportunities for faculty, students and staff concerning their roles in emergency management.


All Police Dispatch personnel are certified monthly to demonstrate their proficiency concerning the sending of Alerts via the Alertus, Rave, and Emergency or Critical e-mails.  These reviews are logged.

All Alertus panels are tested in a quarterly rotation when Facilities Maintenance tests the fire alarms in University buildings.  Police Dispatch will test the Alertus in the given buildings for that day and record this in the Computer Aided Dispatch program.


Last modified: Sep 30, 2014