Skip to main content

Office of International Programs

Office of International Programs > Outbound Programs > Professional and Personal Travel for Faculty and Staff

Professional and Personal Travel for Faculty and Staff

Professional Travel Registration

KUMC International Professional Travel Policy
Additional information: International Professional Travel for KUMC Employees


All KU employees are covered by International Travel Insurance - please see the KU Human Resources Management website for details

The Office of International Programs will register your trip in the US Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)

Please submit the following to the Office of International Programs

  1. Color copy of your passport
  2. Color copy of your VISA (if applicable)
  3. Flight and travel itinerary
  4. Copy of Health Insurance Card
  5. Emergency Contact Form - Employee
  6. Assumption of risk (non-high risk location)
  7. Deemed Export Questionnaire for Outbound Programs

Upon notifying OIP of your intent to travel internationally, you will be asked to complete an online training course or meet with the IT Security Team to discuss IT Security while traveling.

Preparation Timeline

6 Months Prior to Departure

  1. Apply for your passport/renew your passport
    • Note: If you have a valid, unexpired passport, is your passport valid for at least 6 months after the planned return date of your trip? And do you have at least two pages available for stamps in your passport?
    • Submit a color copy of your passport to International Programs
  2. Get your Visa (if applicable)
    • Submit a color copy to International Programs
    • Do you need assistance applying for your Visa? Contact International Programs.
      • Be aware that this process should start 4-6 months in advance;
      • Be aware that if you are not a US Citizen, Visa processing times and requirements vary from country to country;
  3. Make your travel arrangements
    • Submit your itinerary to International Programs
      • If you travel through another country to reach your destination, you may need a transit Visa. Please be sure to bring this to the attention of OIP, or if you are handling your own Visa, check with the airlines.
      • If you are not a US Citizen, a transit Visa may be required of you even when it is not required for a US Citizen, so be sure to communicate your citizenship.
  4. Suggestion: Start exploring culture and developing your cross-cultural competence by attending The Culture Hour, every Thursday, 12-1:00 in the Calkins Conference Room G004 Orr Major.

2-4 Months Prior to Departure

  1. Suggestion: Are you a first time traveler? Attend one Health and Safety Meeting (optional
  2. Suggestion: Read the following materials developed for students that may also be useful for your travel:
  3. Complete required paperwork

Personal Travel

  1. Contact IT Security to ensure all electronics you are taking on your trip are secure.
  2. If you would like OIP to enroll you in STEP please provide:
    • Color copy of your Passport
    • Color copy of your VISA (if applicable)
    • Copy of Flight and Travel Itinerary

Questions or concerns?

  • For faculty, staff or resident registration, please contact Stacie Rader, office 913-588-1480.
  • For student registration, please contact Kimberly Connelly, office 913-588-1480 as additional requirements may apply.
  • For non-medical international travel urgencies, please contact Kimberly Connelly, cell 816-668-6414
Last modified: May 15, 2019