Green HERON Introduction
As part of the KUMC CTSA Informatics Core, we aim to streamline research processes by providing clinical data analysis environments and to engage investigators in the use of informatics tools for collaboration across the entire spectrum of translational research. KUMC has established an integrated clinical data repository, HERON, with approximately 2 million patient electronic medical records (EMR) as well as research participant registry, socioeconomic data, and death data, which is a valuable resource for clinical and translational research. To engage the broader scientific community and catalyze research collaboration, we are expanding the current HERON's capability by creating an open and protected clinical data analytic environment called Green HERON.
Green HERON is a highly protected health data analytic space where approved users can work with de-identified and identified health information. Green HERON simplifies the effort of obtaining EMR data from KUMC HERON, while supporting collaborators from around the world with approved NetIDs. The analytics space offers a rich set of tools, services, and resources required by research. Within the protected environment, Green HERON users are provided the ability to select analytic tools such as R, SAS, and Python.
Requirement for access:
- Secure KUMC network (either on campus or via VPN)
- KUMC Faculty member or sponsored by a faculty member
- Up-to-date Human Subjects Training
- Signed system access agreement
*KUMC affiliated accounts can be created upon request and approval
Software tools available:
- SQL Developer
- R and RStudio
*Additional software can be installed upon request and approval.
- 1st Frontiers Informatics Meetup (May 23, 2019)
- 2nd Frontiers Informatics Meetup (September 26, 2019)
- 3rd Frontiers Informatics Meetup (December 12, 2019)
- 4th Frontiers Informatics Meetup (March 5, 2020)
- 5th Frontiers Informatics Meetup (June 18th, 2020) - More details coming soon!
- Registration: Please register here.
- Location: Virtual Meeting - GoToMeeting information will be sent out in a calendar invite to registered participants prior to the meeting.