Green HERON Introduction
As part of the KUMC CTSA Informatics Core, we aim to streamline research processes by providing clinical data analysis environments and to engage investigators in the use of informatics tools for collaboration across the entire spectrum of translational research. KUMC has established an integrated clinical data repository, HERON, with approximately 2 million patient electronic medical records (EMR) as well as research participant registry, socioeconomic data, and death data, which is a valuable resource for clinical and translational research. To engage the broader scientific community and catalyze research collaboration, we are expanding the current HERON's capability by creating an open and protected clinical data analytic environment called Green HERON.
Green HERON is a highly protected health data analytic space where approved users can work with de-identified and identified health information. Green HERON simplifies the effort of obtaining EMR data from KUMC HERON, while supporting collaborators from around the world with approved NetIDs. The analytics space offers a rich set of tools, services, and resources required by research. Within the protected environment, Green HERON users are provided the ability to select analytic tools such as R, SAS, and Python.
Requirement for access:
- Secure KUMC network (either on campus or via VPN)
- KUMC Faculty member or sponsored by a faculty member
- Up-to-date Human Subjects Training
- Signed system access agreement
*KUMC affiliated accounts can be created upon request and approval
Software tools available:
- SQL Developer
- R and RStudio
*Additional software can be installed upon request and approval.
September 26, 2019 (4 pm - 6 pm): 2nd Frontiers Informatics Meetup - Using Open Clinical Data Analytic Platforms
- Steven Simon (UMKC) - Getting data into R using SQL interface
- Earl Glynn (CMH) - ICU data analysis using MIMIC III
- Brittany Melton (KUMC) - Drug safety research using EMR data
- Event registration: Please sign-up here.
- Event parking: Free parking will be available in the P4 Bluff Garage starting at 3 pm. The garage can be seen here on the campus map.
December 12, 2019 (4 pm - 6 pm): 3rd Frontiers Informatics Meetup
- Peter Tonellato (Center for Biomedical Informatics Research, University of Missouri)
- Chi-Ren Shyu (Informatics Institute, University of Missouri)
- Abu Mosa (Research Informatics, University of Missouri)