Application & Admission
University of Kansas M.D.-Ph.D. Physician-Scientist Program
Checklist for Application for Admission
Application for admission is through the MD-PhD Dual-Degree Program Admissions Committee and acceptance carries simultaneous admission to Graduate Studies and to the School of Medicine. The Program seeks highly motivated students with outstanding academic credentials and strong research interest, potential, and demonstrated experience. There are no Kansas residency requirements for admission to the MD/PhD program and students with exceptional potential as physician scientists are recruited from around the country.
Applicants submit the following credentials:
(Deadline October 15th for application through AMCAS, all items are due October 15th for late applicants. Please try to submit before August 31st) It takes approximately 1 month to receive your application from AMCAS once it is submitted. If you are submitting your application prior to taking the MCAT scores take 1 month as well so plan accordingly. We suggest applying no later than mid August.
- Standard AMCAS medical application with “MD-PhD Dual-Degree Program” selected. Designate The University of Kansas School of Medicine as a recipient. Prepare an addendum and submit it to the address below (email if possible) only if you wish to make additional or clarifying comments to those already expressed in the three essays in your AMCAS application:  Personal Statement.  Why are you interested in an MD-PhD Program?  Describe your research experience(s) to date, including location and time frame for each, and your research mentor(s).
- MCAT scores will be included in your AMCAS application, otherwise have official copy sent to the MD-PhD Program. Submit GRE scores if taken (not a requirement). Contact the Program if you have any questions.
- Download and complete Information for MD/PhD Physician Scientist Program at University of Kansas Medical Center form (PDF). Please submit the form via e-mail if at all possible to email@example.com (See mailing address below if needed).
- At least three (3) Letters of Recommendation addressing your dual degree application (Please download through AMCAS):
- One must be written by the applicant’s mentor from the prior research experience(s) and give some indication about the applicant’s potential for research.
- One must be written by a faculty member, other than the research mentor with whom the applicant studied in a science course.
- A letter from any other person selected by the applicant.
- The application fee for our program comes directly to us. Please make out your check for $50.00 to: KUMC MD-PhD Program and send it to the address below. Be sure you put Attn: Janice Fletcher, and the Program on the envelope so it is not lost on campus. You will not be required to pay the medical application fee (through the online portal) that is listed on the MD only information.
- Email your current CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Selected applicants will be invited for interviews in January. During the interview, applicants meet with members of the MD/PhD Admissions Committee, MD/PhD and Graduate Program Directors, students currently in the program, and research faculty. Please start looking over the research faculty and create a list of people you would like to meet with.
The Program will cover your basic travel expenses for interviews; details will be provided at the time of the invitation to interview. A student invited to interview but with exceptional circumstances and unable to participate on those dates may be given a alternative date and considered for admission by the Admissions Committee on an individual case basis. An optional second visit to campus can be arranged if desired.
Please email a wallet-size digital photo at your earliest convenience, or mail it to the Administrative Manager if you are unable to send it electronically.
If Accepted Into Program:
Accepted students must provide an official transcript indicating receipt of a Baccalaureate degree from a fully accredited institution by the time of matriculation into the program (and if applicable, transcripts for any post-baccalaureate studies/degrees) to the school of medicine.
Please direct all questions to email@example.com.
M.D.-Ph.D. Physician Scientist Program
University of Kansas Medical Center
3901 Rainbow Boulevard
1123 Delp - Mail Stop 3062
Kansas City, Kansas 66160-7700
Dr. Timothy Fields, MD-PhD Program Director
Dr. Brenda Rongish, MD-PhD Program Associate Director
Ms. Janice Fletcher, CAP-OM; MD-PhD Administrative Manager