Sub-Award Invoice Processing
Sub-award invoicing, both incoming and outgoing, are handled by the Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA). Incoming invoices are passed to the Principle Investigator for approval prior to payment. Outgoing invoices are approved by the SPA Director and are based on expenses incurred. Below are the processes for each.
Incoming Invoice Process
- SPA requests that all sub-recipient invoices along with the appropriate progress reports be sent to their office. The SPA grant administrator will review and process the invoice.
- The grant administrator will forward the invoice to the PI to verify that the work has been completed and is satisfactory. If either of these conditions is not true, the PI has the right to reject the invoice. The following steps are based on the PI's response to the invoice.
- Approval - If approved, the original invoice will be passed to KUMCRI Accounts Payable for payment and a signed copy of the invoice will be filed as verification of PI approval.
- Rejection - If not approved, the grant administrator will contact the requesting institution for additional supporting documentation or expressing the PI's concerns about the progress made during the billing period. The signed copy of the rejected invoice will be filed as verification of PI rejection.
- Adjusted Amount Response - If any adjustment has been made to the invoice by either the grant administrator or the PI, the signed copy will be forwarded to Accounts Payable for payment and the grant administrator will contact the requesting institution to inform them of the adjustment to their invoice. The signed copy of the adjusted invoice will be filed as verification of the PI's approval.
- No Response - The grant administrator will wait 3 working days for a response from the PI. If no response is received, a second request will be sent to both the PI and the department research administrator. If a third request is required, it will include the department chair.
Outgoing Invoice Process
- Monthly billing will be handled by the SPA grant administrator who will prepare the invoice based on recent expenditures on the project.
- For quarterly or semi-annual billing, a progress report from the PI may be required by the pass through entity (PTE). If so, the SPA grant administrator will request a copy of the progress report to include with the invoice.
- The SPA grant administrator will follow up with the PTE if payment is not received within 60 days of the invoice date. Should the PTE not pay the full amount of the invoice, the SPA grant administrator will contact the PI to discuss options.
Jul 16, 2015