Our Will to Innovate
Doing more with less seems to be a sign of the times. Nowhere is success in this regard more apparent than on the grounds of the KU Medical Center campus. Christine Howard, Grounds/Parking Manager in Landscape Services, has begun a labor of love: making our campus a pleasing one to be a student, patient, visitor or employee. Working within her current budget, Christine and her colleagues in Landscape Services are creating a healthy exterior that reflects the education, research and clinical care that supports health within our walls.
Improvement at Every Level
- The Organizational Improvement Office, using data from the first employee engagement survey, results from the Show-Me Challenge (a state-level Baldrige assessment) and the Huron report began to identify and address opportunities for improvement.
- Refinement and rollout of KU Medical Center's strategic planning and planning at the departmental level are underway.
- Establishment the Enterprise Project Management Office (EPMO) in Information Resources. The EPMO offers project management support to the campus, not only for information technology projects but for any complex project that would benefit from a project manager.
- The School of Nursing was designated a Center of Excellence in Nursing Education by the National League for Nursing (NLN) - one of only 26 schools in the country to earn the award. This honor recognized KU for sustained, evidence-based and substantive innovation and acknowledges the school for its ongoing research to document the effectiveness of its innovations, for setting high standards and for showing commitment to quality improvement.
- Expanded the Baldrige Performance Excellence framework in the central Support Services departments.
- Implemented the use of "Liberating Structures" to facilitate meetings, resulting in improved communication, interaction, creativity and innovative thinking.
- Developed new innovation and improvement forms
- Council on Strategic Initiatives (CSI), Vice Chancellor for Administration + Associate Vice Chancellors + Organizational Improvement Office
- Support Services (SS), CSI + Associate Vice Chancellors' management teams
- Management Council (MC), SS + leaders from the Schools and other areas
- Chat-n-Chew, small groups, open forum
- LIFE @ KUMC, larger group, open forum
- Effective 1:1 meetings, using Leading the Jayhawk Way and Jayhawk Way Success Academy models
- A unified command arrangement was reached with The University of Kansas Hospital, with Chief Rick Johnson now also serving as Chief Security officer at the hospital
- The All Sources/All Spends initiative was completed, achieving a comprehensive view of medical center revenues and expenses.
- Facilities improvement continued as a priority for creating a physical environment conducive to education, discovery and healing.
- Chilled water project
- Energy conservation project
- Focus on efficiency in project deployment
 Goals E.IV and F.III in the original plan / Innovate in the refined plan
 Goals E.II, E.IV, F.II and F.III in the original plan / Innovate in the refined plan
 Goals A.III, B.III, H and I in the original plan / Educate box 4, Discover box 1 and Innovate box 1 and Measures in the refined plan
Feb 19, 2014