Former Executive Vice Chancellors
Douglas A. Girod, M.D.
- Executive Vice Chancellor, 2013-2017
Douglas A. Girod, M.D., became executive vice chancellor of the University of Kansas Medical Center on Feb. 1, 2013, and served as interim executive dean of the KU School of Medicine until March 24, 2014. Prior to those roles, he served as senior associate dean for clinical affairs and chair of the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. Girod joined as faculty in 1994 and quickly rose through the academic ranks, becoming chair of the Otolaryngology department in 2002. He was named Russell E. Bridwell Endowed Chair in 2008, and his leadership was instrumental in four years' worth of U.S. News & World Report "Best Hospitals, Ear, Nose and Throat" national rankings for The University of Kansas Hospital.
Girod's accomplishments as executive vice chancellor include the appointment of deans to lead the Schools of Medicine, Health Professions and Nursing; expansion in the School Medicine-Wichita; launch of the School of Nursing-Salina; construction of the state-of-the-art Health Education Building and Parking Garage 5; successful accreditation efforts; re-energized diversity and inclusion efforts; and revamped recycling and beautification initiatives. Girod earned his bachelor's degree in chemistry from the University of California at Davis and his medical degree from the University of California at San Francisco. He completed his residency and an NIH research fellowship at the University of Washington in Seattle. Prior to joining the University of Kansas Medical Center, Girod served as Vice Chairman and Research Director in the Department of Otolaryngology at the Naval Medical Center in Oakland, California. He served in the United States Navy Reserve from 1982, rising to the rank of Lieutenant Commander and later earning the Meritorious Service Medal. He was honorably discharged in 1997.
The Kansas Board of Regents announced the appointment of Douglas A. Girod, M.D., executive vice chancellor of the University of Kansas Medical Center, as the 18th Chancellor of the University of Kansas, effective July 1, 2017.
Barbara Atkinson, M.D.
- Executive Vice Chancellor, 2005-2012
- Executive Dean, 2002-2012
Barbara Atkinson, M.D., was named Executive Dean of the University of Kansas School of Medicine in 2002 and Executive Vice Chancellor of the University of Kansas Medical Center in 2005. She led the University of Kansas Medical Center's efforts to apply for National Cancer Institute designation in September 2011. She oversaw the creation of the KU School of Medicine's innovative new campus in Salina, Kan., and the expansion of the school's Wichita campus from a two-year program to a full, four-year program. During Dr. Atkinson's tenure, the school of medicine adopted an innovative, modern curriculum; the medical center campus opened the a state-of-the-art research building — the Hemenway Life Sciences Innovation Center — as well as a new Medical Office Building; and research funding made significant gains.
Dr. Atkinson received the Leonard Berwick Award for Distinguished Teaching at the University of Pennsylvania, the Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching in Clinical Sciences at Medical College of Pennsylvania (MCP), the Golden Apple Teaching Award for Excellent Science Teaching for Integrated Learning Programs from the MCP and the Helmuth Sprintz Award for teaching at the University of Kansas.
She is a Life Trustee and a past president of the American Board of Pathology (ABP), and she holds the distinction of being the first woman and the first cytopathologist to be elected as a trustee. She was elected to membership in the prestigious Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences in 1997. In 2010 she was appointed by President Barack Obama to the Presidential Commission for the Study of Bioethical Issues.
Donald Hagen, M.D.
- Executive Vice Chancellor, 1995-2004
Dr. Donald F. Hagen, a native of Williston, North Dakota, graduated from Concordia College with a B.A. in 1959, and received his medical degree from Northwestern University in 1963. He completed his internship at Los Angeles County General Hospital, and was commissioned in the U.S. Navy in 1964. While in the Navy, Dr. Hagen served as a Marine Corps battalion surgeon in Vietnam, and, in 1966, as a general medical officer (GMO) on the hospital ship USS REPOSE (AH16). He returned to Vietnam after a short stint as a GMO at the Naval Training Center in San Diego, serving as staff surgeon with the Navy's Riverine Assault Forces, Mekong Delta.
He completed a surgical residency in 1973 at the Naval Hospital in Portsmouth, Virginia, and went on to positions of progressively increased responsibility within the Navy, culminating in serving as Commander of the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland, from 1988-1991. Vice Admiral Hagen was appointed Surgeon General of the Navy and Chief, Bureau of Medicine and Surgery, on June 28, 1991. He served in that capacity until 1995, when he accepted the position of Executive Vice Chancellor of the University of Kansas Medical Center. His emphasis at KUMC, learned from his Navy experiences, was communication and teamwork.
Dr. Hagen's accomplishments during his leadership at KUMC include: consolidating sixteen private practice foundations under one corporate entity (KUPI); changing the governance structure of the KU Hospital, placing it under a public authority model and board; breakthrough research in such areas as AIDS and Parkinson's; and a renewed sense of community involvement. Another of his priorities was earmarking $8.6 million for demolishing the aged Hinch Hall and building a new School of Nursing Building. During this process, Dr. Hagen could often be seen supervising the construction site sporting a bright-yellow hardhat.
On August 17, 2004, during KUMC's faculty and staff convocation in Battenfeld Auditorium, a lively piano rendition of "Anchors Aweigh" resounded in tribute to Don Hagen's service to the University of Kansas Medical Center and prior service as a three-star admiral and surgeon General of the U.S. Navy, upon the announcement of his December 31 retirement as Executive Vice Chancellor.
A.L. Chapman, M.D.
- Executive Vice Chancellor, February-September 1995
Born in Anderson, Missouri, on November 5, 1933, A.L. Chapman received his B.A. and M.A. degrees from the University of Missouri—Columbia in 1956 and 1959 respectively. He continued his education at the University of Nebraska School of Medicine—Omaha, Department of Anatomy, receiving a Ph.D. degree, with a minor in Microbiology, in 1962. That year he began a long series of faculty and administrative positions at KUMC, first serving as Director of Histology Laboratories, Department of Anatomy, when all six basic science departments consolidated to bring four years of medical school curriculum to the Kansas City campus. In 1982, Dr. Chapman was selected to be the first KUMC Dean of Graduate Studies, and from 1985-1996 he served as Dean of Graduate Studies and Research. From 1996-1999 he was appointed as Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, and in 1995 was chosen as KUMC's Acting Executive Vice Chancellor. During this time he also held the position of President of the University of Kansas Medical Center Research Institute (1992-1999).
Among Dr. Chapman's achievements at KUMC: establishing and directing the Electron Microscopy Research Center (1973-1991); teaching and directing Medical and Graduate Histology and Cell Biology (1962-1983); encouraging and assisting students at all levels in developing their research skills; and formating biomedical companies established from KUMC faculty research.
Retired from KUMC in 1999, Dr. Chapman was awarded the titles of Professor Emeritus of Anatomy and Cell Biology and Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs Emeritus. He and his wife returned to the family farm in Anderson, Mo. From there Dr. Chapman serves on the Board of Trustees of Crowder College and the Board of Directors of the Ozark Tri-County Health Care Consortium. In honor of his dedication and enthusiasm to quality student and faculty research, the Annual A.L. Chapman Keynote Research Lecture Series was established at KUMC in 2000.
Charles E. Andrews, M.D.
- Executive Vice Chancellor, 1994-February 1995
Charles E. Andrews, M.D., came to KUMC in 1949 for an internship after completing medical school at Boston University.
Afterward he spent one year of residency training at the Veteran's Administration Hospital in Wichita and two years of military service in the Korean War before returning to KUMC and finishing his residency in internal medicine under Mahlon Delp, MD, in 1955. From 1955-1956 he served a Fellowship in Pulmonary Diseases at the VA Hospital in Minneapolis, then returned to KUMC from 1956-1960 as Associate Professor of Medicine and Chief of the Medical Services of the Kansas City VA Hospital. Subsequently, from 1967-1981, Dr. Andrews served as Vice President for Health Sciences at the West Virginia University Medical Center; from 1981-1983, then joined the faculty at West Virginia as Professor of Medicine with an emphasis on pulmonary and occupational medicine.
In 1983, he was selected as Chancellor, Vice President and Professor of Internal Medicine at the University of Nebraska Medical Center-Omaha, remaining until his retirement in 1991. Dr. Andrews returned to KUMC for one year upon his appointment as Interim Executive Vice Chancellor in February 1994.
D. Kay Clawson
- Executive Vice Chancellor, 1983-1994
D. Kay Clawson, M.D., appointed executive vice chancellor of KUMC effective September 1, 1983, held a national reputation in orthopedics and medical education. A 1952 graduate of Harvard Medical School, Clawson came to the University of Kansas Medical Center from the University of Kentucky College of Medicine after serving for eight years as dean of the College of Medicine. Prior to his tenure in Kentucky, he was professor and chairman of the Orthopedic Surgery Division Department for sixteen years at the University of Washington in Seattle.
During his first eight years at 39th and Rainbow, Clawson oversaw substantial improvements in financial conditions, presided over further expansion, enhanced the physical environment and planned for an even larger institution by the 21st century. In an address that he delivered as chairman of the Association of American Medical Colleges in October 1989 in Washington, D.C., Clawson stressed the need for North American education to move in a direction better suited to the needs of individual students, emphasizing concepts rather than rote memorization. In addition to facility improvements, what he hoped to accomplish as executive vice chancellor was to change the course of health care education, placing the Medical Center in the forefront of international educational reform.
Dr. Clawson's philosophy that "you never have a second chance at a first impression" led to vast improvements in the appearance of the buildings and grounds. Under his leadership, capital projects resulted in new research laboratories and the remodeling of outdated spaces into modern office, classroom and patient facilities. Other physical improvements included the removal of all temporary structures, the re-landscaping of university property, and campus expansion through acquisition of adjacent residential and commercial properties.
D. Kay Clawson resigned in 1994 after eleven years of service as KUMC's Executive Vice Chancellor. In 1996, he accepted a "post retirement" faculty appointment at the UK College of Medicine–Lexington, and on his 75th birthday the D. Kay Clawson Pavilion, a four-story ambulatory wing, was named after him. He has served as a consultant to the Dean and Executive Vice President of UKCOM, mostly working with admissions, and interviewing and counseling students from high school seniors to those in the M.D./Ph.D. programs.
David Waxman, M.D.
- Executive Vice Chancellor, 1977-1983
After serving as a U.S. Army Air Corps bomber pilot during World War II, David Waxman, M.D., graduated from the Syracuse College of Medicine, Syracuse, New York, in 1950. He served his internship at Grace Hospital in Detroit, Mich., from 1950-1951, followed by a residency in Internal Medicine and a Fellowship in Cardiology at the University of Kansas from 1958-1961. Between 1951 and 1958 he was in private practice in Kansas City, Mo.
Throughout his career Dr. Waxman served in a variety of positions at KU in the areas of Internal Medicine, Preventative Medicine and Community Health and Outpatient Services, of which he was director. He was also Dean for Students, Deputy and Acting Executive Vice Chancellor, and, from 1977-1983, Executive Vice Chancellor. He subsequently retired from the United State Air Force Reserves in 1978, having earned the Distinguished Service Medal, the Legion of Merit and the rank of Major General, the highest step attainable by a physician reservist.
Taking the leadership role at KUMC as Executive Vice Chancellor during a tarnished period of fiscal and administrative difficulties, when legislators criticized KUMC officials for sloppy housekeeping, poor management and a slow and inefficient collection system, Waxman proved a gruff yet talented administrator who greatly improved hospital operations. During this time, Waxman also held appointments at Baptist Memorial, Kansas City Veterans, Menorah, and Research hospitals. In May of 1983, the Kansas Board of Regents passed a resolution honoring his years of service to KUMC, citing his "deep personal concern and regard for each and every medical center patient and hospital employee" and praising Waxman as a "truly remarkable and rare individual talent." He retired in September of 1983; in 1984, he was appointed to the Kansas Board of Healing Arts. Dr. Waxman continued his KUMC connection, serving as Special Counselor to the Chancellor for the Health Sciences from 1983 until he was awarded emeritus status on July 1, 1993.
David Waxman, M.D., died on May 19, 2007.
Robert B. Kugel, M.D.
- Executive Vice Chancellor, 1976-1977
Born in Chicago, Ill., on May 2, 1923, Robert B. Kugel attended Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire, from 1941-1942. He then transferred to the College of Literature, Science and the Arts, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, from 1942-1943, and, while there, also received his B.A. in zoology (1945) and M.D. (1943-1946). After graduation Kugel remained at Ann Arbor and interned in pediatrics, 1947-1948, at University Hospital, served as assistant resident from 1948-1949, and resident, Department of Pediatrics, 1949-1950. In 1950-1952, he was appointed as Commonwealth Fellow, Child Study Center, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut. Dr. Kugel's professional experience included: Camp Physician, University of Michigan Fresh Air Camp, 1950-1953; Instructor, Department of Pediatrics, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, 1951-1952; Instructor, Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1952-1953; Consultant in Pediatrics to the Surgeon, Third Air Force, England, 1953-1955; Assistant Professor, Pediatrics, and Research Associate, Maternal and Child Health, and Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, 1955-1956.
Kugel's interest in pediatrics primarily focused on mentally disabled children. From 1966-1969, he served as a member of the President's Committee on Mental Retardation. He also held pediatric positions at Johns Hopkins and Iowa State, and served three years as chief medical consultant of the Joseph H. Ladd School in Exeter, R.I., before joining the faculty of the University of Nebraska College of Medicine-Omaha in 1966. Dr. Kugel served in a number of capacities at Nebraska, until 1974, when he accepted the positions of Vice President for Health Sciences, Professor of Pediatrics, at the University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, and Chief Administrative Officer at Barnalillo County Medical Center, also Albuquerque.
One April 1, 1976, Dr. Kugel assumed responsibilities as Executive Vice Chancellor of the University of Kansas College of Health Sciences and Hospital, succeeding David W. Robinson, M.D. Solving the rural heath care problem in Kansas was Kugel's stated first goal. He also worked to revive the shut-down cardiothoracic unit. During Kugel's administration, he was also plagued by nursing shortages and construction problems. Amid political and administrative resistance to his proposed programs and solutions, Kugel resigned December 15, 1977. When questioned about Kugel's short tenure, Archie Dykes, Chancellor of KU, pointed out that the average tenure of top medical school administrators was approximately two years.
David W. Robinson, M.D.
- Acting Executive Vice Chancellor, 1975-1976
Born on Nov. 15, 1914, Dr. David W. Robinson received his bachelor's degree from the University of Kansas in 1935 and his medical degree from the University of Pennsylvania in 1938.
His initial appointment with the University of Kansas Medical Center was as Assistant in Plastic Surgery in 1945. He then went on to become Associate in Plastic Surgery, 1946; Assistant Professor in the Department of Oncology and Head of Plastic Surgery, 1948; Associate Professor of Surgery and Oncology, 1950; Professor of Surgery and Oncology, 1955-1960; and in 1967 he was appointed as Lecturer, History of Medicine.
Robinson was awarded the title of Distinguished Professor and appointed as director of the Gene and Barbara Burnett Burn Center in 1973, and from 1974-1979 served as Vice Chancellor for Clinical Affairs and Chief of Staff. From 1975-1976 he served as Acting Executive Vice Chancellor. In 1984 he became an Honorary Medical Alumnus, and in 1985 was appointed as University Distinguished Professor Emeritus. Dr. Robinson died in 2003.
William O. Rieke, M.D.
- Vice Chancellor for Health Affairs, 1971-1974
- Executive Vice Chancellor, 1974-1975
Born in Odessa, Wash., on April 26, 1931, Rieke received his B.A., summa cum lauda, in 1953, and his M.D., with honors, from the University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, in 1958. After graduation he remained at UW in a variety of capacities including Instructor, Department of Anatomy, 1958-1961, and in the Department of Biological Structure as Assistant Professor, 1961-1964, Administrative Officer, 1963-1966, and Associate Professor, 1964-1966. Recruited by the University of Iowa-Iowa City in 1966, Rieke served there as Dean pro tem, College of Medicine, through May of 1970, and Professor and Head, Department of Anatomy, 1966-1971. In 1971 he left Iowa to become Vice-Chancellor for Health Affairs and Professor of Anatomy, at the University of Kansas Medical Center.
In 1973, Rieke was appointed as Executive Vice-Chancellor of the University of Kansas (for Health Affairs) and Professor of Anatomy, were he served until 1975. During this time, he oversaw the design and groundbreaking for construction of the new University of Kansas Hospital, and the establishment of KUMC's Wichita Campus. Dr. Rieke resigned from KUMC in 1975 to assume the position of 11th President of Pacific Lutheran University, a private Christian liberal arts university located in Parkland, a suburb of Tacoma, Washington. While he served at PLU, the MBA program, accounting program, and School of Music were all accredited, and a capital fund campaign resulted in the building of a new science building which was named the William O. Rieke Science Center. Dr. Rieke retired as Professor Emeritus in 1992. He died on April 22, 2006.
Charles E. Brackett, M.D.
- Acting Vice Chancellor, 1970-1971
Charles E. Brackett, M.D. was born on Jan. 25, 1920, in Portsmouth, N.H.
He received an A.B. degree from Harvard University in 1941 and medical degree from the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1944. Dr. Brackett then interned at Bellevue Hospital in New York, and while in the United States Navy Medical Corp, at St. Alban's Naval Hospital, from 1945-46. Dr. Brackett served as Assistant Resident, Neurological Surgery, at the Neurological Institute of New York from 1945-46 and 1949-51; Instructor of Neurosurgery and Research Associate, New York Medical College, 1948; Bowen-Brooks Fellow, The New York Academy of Medicine, 1949; Research Assistant in Neurological Surgery, Columbia University, 1950; and Senior Resident in Neurological Surgery, Neurological Institute of New York, 1951.
Arriving at KUMC in 1952, he was appointed Instructor in Surgery and also served as Attending Neurosurgeon at the VA Hospital in Wadsworth, Kan. Brackett was appointed Assistant Professor of Neurologic Surgery in 1954, Associate Professor, 1958, Chief, Section of Neurological Surgery, 1964-1986, Vice Chancellor for Health Affairs and Dean (acting), 1970-1971, Professor of Surgery, 1965-1987, and Research Professor of Neurological Surgery, 1987-1989. Dr. Brackett belonged to many local, national and international professional societies and served on the boards of a number of them.
In 1979, he received the Jayhawker M.D. Award, given by the 1979 Senior Class and yearbook staff "To the faculty member who has shown the greatest devotion to his primary duty as teacher of medical students." The Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching was awarded to him in 1987, and in 1989 he received the Honorary Alumnus of the Year Award from the Board of Directors of the Kansas Medical Alumni Association. Along with the recognition for his teaching and compiling an impressive bibliography during his career Vice Chancellor for Health Affairs and Dean (acting), upon his retirement, he became Emeritus Professor on July 1, 1990.
George A. Wolf, M.D.
- Dean and Provost, 1966-1970
George A. Wolf, Jr., M.D., assumed his duties as provost of the University of Kansas Medical Center and dean of the School of Medicine on September 1, 1966. He came to Kansas City from Boston, where he was executive director and vice president for medical and dental affairs of Tufts-New England Medical Center. Born on April 20, 1914, in East Orange, New Jersey, Wolf earned his B.A. in biology from New York University Heights College in 1936 and his M.D. from Cornell in 1941. He interned and served his residency in internal medicine at New York Hospital and Cornell University Medical College, where he held a number of positions until 1952. From 1952 to 1961 he served as dean and professor of clinical medicine at the University of Vermont College of Medicine. Dr. Wolf held the Tufts position from 1961 to 1966. He always asserted that the book, The Human Body, by KU's Logan Clendening, M.D., inspired him to study medicine.
Dr. Wolf's time at KU Medical Center was a period of growth and change, complicated by inadequate funding, increased demands on the medical center for more educational opportunities, expanding knowledge about health care and new systems of health care. After three and a half years he submitted his resignation, effective June 30, 1970, to return to his former position at the University of Vermont and the peaceful farm that the family had owned for years. Dr. Wolf died on June 15, 1990, at the family farm in Jericho, Vermont.
Russell C. Mills, Ph.D.
- Acting Provost, 1966 (three months)
During most of Russell C. Mill's forty-year association with KU Medical Center, serving in many organizational capacities, he always purposefully operated one notch below top administration, except for a three-year stint as Acting Provost during the summer of 1966.
Dr. Mills attended the University of Wisconsin earning successive degrees which culminated in a Ph.D. in biochemistry in 1944. After joining the U.S. Navy Reserve, he conducted microbiological research at Camp Detrick in Frederick, Maryland, from 1944-1946. Mills then joined the Biochemistry Department at the University of Kansas-Lawrence where he served from 1946-1962, becoming chair of that unit in 1951. In 1962, all four years of medical school were consolidated at the Kansas City, Kansas, campus. There, Mills was appointed Associate Dean of the Graduate School from 1962-1964 and Acting Provost and Dean of the KU Medical Center in 1966.
Dr. Mills remained as Associate Dean of the School of Medicine from 1964-1970. In 1970 he was awarded an Alan Gregg Traveling Fellowship in Medical Education by the China Medical Board of New York, and visited medical schools in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Hong Kong, Taiwan and the Philippines. Upon his return to KUMC, Mills served as Associate Vice Chancellor for Health Affairs. From 1975-1979 he directed Support Services, and in 1981 he initiated and developed the Gerontology Center, now part of the Landon Center on Aging. From 1988-1994 he held the appointment of Senior Scientist Emeritus in the Center on Aging.
Russell C. Mills, Ph.D., died on August 18, 1994, in Port Angeles, Washington. At a memorial service in Lawrence on September 9, 1994, Robert P. Hudson, M.D., eulogized Dr. Mills by stating, "One of his consistent qualities was an unrelenting insistence on excellence in himself and others."
C. Arden Miller, M.D.
- Dean and Provost, 1960-1966
Born in Shelby, Ohio, on Sept. 19, 1924, C. Arden Miller graduated from Oberlin College, Oberlin, Ohio, in 1944. He received his M.D. degree from Yale University of Medicine in 1948, cum laude. Dr. Miller joined the faculty of KUMC in 1951 as an instructor in pediatrics. He was promoted to assistant dean and associate professor in 1957 and in 1958 became the medical director of the new Children's Rehabilitation Unit.
With an interest in infectious diseases of children, mainly polio and handicapped patients, Dr. Miller received a coveted Markle Scholarship, which enabled him to travel to England and Scotland to survey medical programs in the universities and public schools there. Upon his return to KUMC, he was named Dean of the Medical School and Director of the Medical Center on May 20, 1960. In 1965, Dr. Miller was given the new title of Provost of the Kansas City campus.
In spring of 1966, Dr. Miller stepped down from his administrative duties to resume his original interests of teaching and working with disabled children. The following August he resigned from the KUMC faculty to accept the position of Vice Chancellor, Health Sciences, at the University of North Carolina. Dr. Miller served as Vice Chancellor at UNC until 1971 when he returned to a career of teaching and research as Professor of Maternal and Child Health at the UNC School of Public Health. In 1977, he accepted a position as Chairman of the Department of Maternal and Child Health. Dr. Miller wrote extensively about children's health and the evaluation of local health departments. From 1974-75 he served as the President of the American Public Health Association and in 1987 that association awarded him the Sedgwick Medal. The Sedgwick Memorial Medal, given by the American Public Health Association, was established in 1929 for distinguished service and advancement of public health knowledge and practice, and is considered the APHA's highest honor.
W. Clarke Wescoe, M.D.
- Dean, School of Medicine
- Director, KU Medical Center, 1952-1960
W. Clarke Wescoe, M.D., was born in Allentown, Pa., on May 23, 1920. He earned his medical degree at Cornell University, New York, in 1944.
He joined the faculty of the University of Kansas Medical Center and served as a Professor of Pharmacology and Experimental Medicine from 1951-1960. He was selected as Dean of the School of Medicine and Director of the Medical Center in 1952 at the age of 32 — the youngest medical dean in the country. Wescoe served in those positions until 1960 when he left to become Chancellor of the University of Kansas. On the KU Medical Center campus, "B" Building or the "Ward" Building, built in 1928 and added to in 1967, combined with what was originally the Children's Pavilion, built in 1936, were renamed Wescoe Medical Pavilion in 1979.
Considered a warm, personable man and known as the "Singing Chancellor," Wescoe would occasionally sing original lyrics at convocations and commencements. He led KU through years marked by dramatic growth coupled with turbulence on campus, enhancing the quality of education while defusing explosive unrest. In 1969, Dr. Wescoe was appointed as Vice President for Medical Affairs and Research at Sterling Drug, Inc., and in 1985 retired as Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer of that company. Wescoe died on February 29, 2004, in Mission, Kansas.
Biographies written by Nancy Hulston, Adjunct Associate Professor, Director, KUMC Archives and Clendening History of Medicine Museum, firstname.lastname@example.org.