KUMC Interprofessional Development Office
The new KUMC Interprofessional Development Office (KUMC-IPDO) provides easy access to all existing KUMC Interprofessional Development activities and programs which support collaboration among current and future healthcare professionals on our the KUMC campuses. Click here to learn more about the History of IPE at KUMC.
This webpage serves two purposes:
- to provide a KUMC Interprofessional Development Directory (see below) for all Centers, activities, events, course offerings and clinics involving interprofessional development activities on the KUMC Campuses.
- to provide information about the Interprofessional Preceptor Summit at KUMC
ACADEMIC DAY & the Interprofessional Preceptor Summit
December 1, 2016
The purpose of Academic Day on the KUMC campus was to unite faculty and staff from the Schools of Health Professions, Medicine and Nursing, plus the School of Pharmacy Department of Pharmacy Practice for a day of learning and networking, along with a chance to celebrate University faculty awards not presented in a joint campus venue such as this. Awards recognized recipients of the 2014-16 Chancellor's Distinguished Teaching Awards. The 2016 theme for Academic Day was Interprofessional Development and thus, the day was combined with the Interprofessional Preceptor Summit at the University of Kansas Medical Center. The professional development event included collaborative activities aimed at faculty members, preceptors and trainees from across the KUMC and KU-Lawrence campus and a reception for the award honorees. Learn more about the Summit HERE.
- The keynote presentation video can be viewed HERE
- "Patient-Centered Care in an Evolving Healthcare Market: How Patient Care Will Look in the Future." Keynote Speaker: Dr. David W. Moen, MD
- Photographs taken during the day can be viewed HERE
- Poster Session Abstracts can be accessed by clicking HERE
8:15-8:30 Breakfast and Sign In
8:30-9:00 Welcome and Networking
9:00-9:30 Theory Burst: Introduction to Intentional Interprofessional Education and Collaboration in Real World Practice Settings
9:45-10:45 Enhancing Interprofessional Education and Practice at your Site for Learners
10:45-11:15 Theory burst: Interprofessional Education in Clinical Contexts. Are we Just Checking the Box for Accreditation Standards?
11:15-12:00 Interprofessional Education and Collaborative Practice Poster Session Download the Call for Abstracts Details HERE
12:00-1:15 LUNCH & KEYNOTE - "Patient Centered Care in an Evolving Healthcare Market: how patient care will look in the future." (Distribution of lunch starts at 11:30) Key Note Speaker : Dr. David W. Moen MD
1:30-2:30 Design Studio: Interprofessional Education in Clinical Contexts
2:45-3:30 Interprofessional Simulation
3:30-3:45 SWOT-Commitment to Change
3:45-4:00 Closing Remarks
Interprofessional Preceptor Summit at KUMC
Intended Summit Audience
A preceptor (or you may refer to this role by another name, e.g. clinical instructor, field instructor) that educates and supervises students on experiential learning rotations/clerkships. Administrative leaders and directors/coordinators of experiential learning of the various professional schools are also encouraged to attend. If possible, we ask that you attend with your interprofessional team members (that also precept students) in your local practice environment!
Brief Description of the Summit
The session will consist of interactive professional development opportunities to learn more about intentionally offering interprofessional education and collaborative practice opportunities in "real world" practice environments. The programming will feature information on three areas...again with the focus on "real world" settings.
- intentional planning and improvement of interprofessional education and practice for learners
- creating opportunities for learners to debrief about interprofessional collaboration
- unique skills for precepting interprofessional groups of learners
The session will conclude with a poster session highlighting scholarship of interprofessional education and practice at KUMC and will be followed by a key note address.
Learning Objectives for the Summit
- Discuss the importance of intentional interprofessional education and practice on rotations for learners to experience interprofessional collaboration in authentic practice settings.
- Identify opportunities for enhancement at your clinical site to integrate interprofessional teamwork- including learners- into your process of care.
- Develop an approach to debriefing and/or providing feedback about interprofessional collaboration to support and enrich the interprofessional practice for learners.
- Determine the unique skills required for precepting interprofessional learners.
What's in it for You?
- Importance of the work to role model interprofessional collaboration for our learners in the "real world" and translate what they learn in the classroom into an authentic practice setting!
- Letter of support and attendance for your annual evaluation and/or promotion and tenure.
- CE/CME credit available (for medicine and nursing, other professions will receive the certificate and can determine if they can submit independently for reciprocal credit)
- Center for Interprofessional Education and Simulation
- Dykes Library at the University of Kansas Medical Center has compiled a comprehensive guide to resources for faculty, clinicians, and students engaging in interprofessional education and practice. Topics include:
- News Listing (for the latest news listings visit: http://www.kumc.edu/news-listing-page.html )
- KU Medical Center students participate in interprofessional education training Oct 19, 2015 -- Almost 1,000 University of Kansas Medical Center students in 13 programs across two campuses took part on October 16 in a second level of interprofessional training
- Toolkit prepares preceptors for interprofessional teams of learners May 1, 2015 ... KU Medical Center and the National Center for Interprofessional Practice and ... development of clinical preceptors who lead interprofessional ...
- Interprofessional Teaching Clinic Apr 16, 2015 ...Interprofessional Teaching Clinic in KU Medical Center's Family Medicine Department brings together students from medicine, pharmacy, ...
- Core Project Team Roles & Responsibilites, Interprofessional ... Mar 19, 2015 ... Provide project leadership for the Pediatric collaborative practice team Work with the Project Director and Medical Lead to insure development ...
- University of Kansas Medical Center joins network for ... Jan 9, 2015 ... "The focus our work is development of the interprofessional preceptor," Shrader said. "We believe preceptors are the nexus of practice and ...
- Charge to Develop Models of Interprofessional Collaboration File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat Nov 12, 2014 ... What is SHP already doing towards the development of new IP Models? - Interprofessional Education. - Interprofessional Practice.
Dec 23, 2016