Bylaws KUMC Postdoctoral Society
* These bylaws represent the ones uploaded onto the website but may not reflect the most recent version of the bylaws. For up to date bylaws please contact the President of the KUMC KPS. Updated 2/21/11
Article I Name and Purpose
The name of this organization shall be the University of Kansas Medical Center (KUMC) Postdoctoral Society (hereafter called the KPS).
The purpose of the KPS is:
- To support and advocate for postdoctoral scholars at the University of Kansas Medical Center (KUMC) in all aspects of their professional research training and career development.
- To promote interaction among KUMC postdoctoral scholars on an academic, social and cultural basis.
- To ensure that the opportunities at KUMC are open to all Graduate Students regardless of race, religion, color, sex, disability, national origin, age, ancestry, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation or veteran status, as set forth in the University's Equal Opportunity and Nondiscrimination Policies.
Article II Organization
The KUMC Postdoctoral Society (KPS) consists of four (4) Executive Board members and the general body of the Society. A volunteer faculty advisor will be nominated and accepted by all members. The Executive Board will strive to maintain diversity and equal representation among scientific discipline, experience, gender, and foreign national status. All postdoctoral scholars are eligible for membership in the KPS. Registration forms will be available yearlong. Meeting attendance is required to vote.
A. Executive Board
- The KPS Executive Board shall be the legislative and the executive body for the postdoctoral scholars at KUMC and are subject to these by-laws.
- A president, vice-president, secretary and treasurer shall constitute the officers of the Executive Board for the KUMC Postdoctoral Society (KPS). The Executive Board must consist of these officers
- Department representatives serve on a volunteer basis to represent the interests of the scholars in their departments and they compose the General Body of the KUMC Postdoctoral Society (KPS).
- Each current member of the KUMC Postdoctoral Society (KPS) must be familiar with these by by-laws and agree that their activities as members are bound by them.
- Officers are elected yearly from among the full members of the KUMC Postdoctoral Society (KPS) by simple majority vote. Special elections will occur in the event of an Executive Board member vacancy.
B. Election of President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer
The president shall be the chief executive officer of the Executive Board. Thepresident is responsible for the following duties:
- Oversee the time line appointments and/or election of new Executive Board members and notify KUMC postdoctoral fellows of any vacancies.
- Delegate responsibilities subject to the advice and consent of the Executive Board.
- Organize, manage and preside meetings.
- Approve of meeting minutes.
- Maintain one year plan with the goals and activities for Executive Board and/or Society.
- Maintain regular contact with the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs.
- Represent the KUMC postdocs and the Postdoc Society at campus activities or community events.
- Serve on the Postdoctoral Advisory Board
- Serve as liaison to the Faculty Executive Board
- Assist in dissemination of pertinent information to the postdoctoral scholars at large.
- Organize informal postdoctoral scholars information meetings as necessary.
- Act as contact for personnel wishing to contact the Executive Board.
The Vice-President/President-Elect is responsible for the following duties:
- Schedule meetings and assist with program planning for the KUMC Postdoctoral Society (KPS).
- Assume duties of President in his or her absence and oversee those activities delegated by the Vice-President.
- Serve on the Postdoctoral Advisory Board
- Serve as liaison to the Faculty Executive Board.
- Serve as the liaison to postdoctoral associations and other organizations .
- Create a semi-annual report to the Executive Board detailing the activities and plans of the KUMC Postdoctoral Society (KPS). The report will include completed business, ongoing business, and plans for the pursuant six months, requested action items, an updated roster of the Executive Board membership, and addenda as needed. This report should be made available to all members of the KUMC Postdoctoral Society (KPS) through email and the website.
- Recording all the minutes of the KUMC Postdoctoral Society (KPS) meetings and its Executive Board including taking roll call and maintain attendance records of all meetings.
- Call and publicize the meetings.
- Maintain all correspondence and record keeping of the Executive Board.
- Assume the duties of the President or Vice-President in his/her absence.
- If unable to attend a meeting, he/she must arrange for someone on hte Executive Board to take minutes and complete any other duties.
- Propose a budget to the Executive Board and the general body of the KUMC Postdoctoral Society (KPS) each year.
- Make disbursements and maintain financial records.
- Present financial reports to the Executive Board at least five times per year and to the general members of the KUMC Postdoctoral Society (KPS) twice a year.
- Submit financial records yearly to the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs.
- Plan and developing strategies to increase funding opportunities for the council.
C. Conduct of Meetings
The regular meetings of the Executive Board shall be held once a month in a location to be announced, unless otherwise determined by the Board or the President. Executive Board shall meet in open session at least five times per academic year. At least two general business meetings of the Executive Board shall be held per year.
- A quorum is necessary to vote on proposed motions and amend the Executive Board charter.
- Quorum is three (3) of the active membership of the Executive Board and 25% of the General Body of the KUMC Postdoctoral Society (KPS).
- If a quorum is not present, motions may be voted on electronically, if approved by a majority of the members present.
- In case of a tie vote, the President shall cast the deciding vote.
- Voting motions shall carry if they receive a majority vote. All regular members present may vote. Electronic votes shall be carried out by the President with a limited time frame.
D. Order of Business
- An agenda will be distributed in advance of all scheduled meetings.
- The President shall call the meeting to order.
- Attendance shall be taken at each meeting.
- Approve minutes. A copy of the previous month's minutes will be sent by email to all Postdoctoral Society members prior to the meeting. At the meeting, the president shall ask if there are any additions or corrections to the minutes. If there are no changes or additions made by general consent, the minutes will be declared "approved" or "approved as amended".
- General orders or unfinished business. Unfinished business or general orders shall be considered in the order of the agenda. Items to be considered under this heading include:
- Any question that was pending when the previous meeting adjourned.
- Items outlined in the agenda.
- New business. The president shall ask if there is any new business. Members can introduce new business or remove from the table any matter that is on the table.
- Announcements. The president may make or call upon others to make any necessary announcements or members can briefly obtain the floor for such a purpose.
- Program. If there is to be a presentation or other program, it is usually presented after the agenda items are addressed.
- Determination of topics for next meeting's agenda. Any Society member can recommend additional agenda items up to three (3) days prior to the meeting.
KUMC Postdoctoral Society (KPS) members may be appointed to subcommittees by the Executive Board to address the needs of the Society.
A web manager will be nominated by the Executive Board and approved by the general KUMC Postdoctoral Society (KPS) members.
A. Resignation of Appointment
If an elected Executive Board member is unable or unwilling to complete a full year's appointment for any reason, they may resign by informing the remaining officers of their intent. Upon resignation, an email will be circulated to the KUMC Postdoctoral Society (KPS) list requesting nominees for a new appointment. A vote will be be taken at the next meeting to elect a new officer for the vacated position.
B. Termination of Duties
If an elected Executive Board member is not fulfilling their duties, or conducts in a way that is detrimental to the mission of the Executive Board, a meeting of the remaining elected Executive Board members will be held to discuss the issue and that Executive Board member may be requested to resign. If the Executive Board member does not resign and it is deemed necessary by the remaining Executive Board members that he or she should no longer remain in office, a quorum among the Executive Board members should no longer remain in office, a quorum among the Executive Board members will be required to terminate the appointment. Upon terminated, an email will be circulated to the KUMC Postdoctoral Society (KPS) list requesting nominees for a new appointment. A vote will be taken at the next meeting to elect a new Executive Board member for the vacant position.
C. Neglect of Duty
Neglect of duty is defined as an Executive Board member missing four (4) consecutive Executive Board meetings without prior notice or sending a proxy and not performing the duties as described herein.
- Proceeding for removal of an Executive Board from their post will require review of their conduct by 25% of members of the KUMC Postdoctoral Society (KPS). Removal will require an unanimous vote from the remaining members of the Executive Board and a majority of the vote of the 25% of the General Body of the Society.
- The member to be recommended for removal shall be given two-week notice prior to the review and vote.
- The Executive Board shall review the by-laws at least every two (2) years to ensure that they remain current.
- Amendments to these by-laws may be submitted to referendum by three-quarter (3/4) vote of the Executive Board or by petition of one-third (1/3) of the Society's members.
- Proposed changes should be submitted in writing to the president for discussion at the next scheduled meeting.
- All proposed amendments to KUMC Postdoctoral Society (KPS) by-laws shall be publicly posted at least one week in advance of the KUMC Postdoctoral Society (KPS) meeting at which they are to be considered. Public posting shall include, but is not necessarily limited to posting on the KPS website.
- A two-third (2/3) vote of a quorum is required for the amendment to be attached (or otherwise included in) the by-laws.
- Distribute updated by-laws to all KUMC Postdoctoral Society (KPS) members.
V. INCOME AND DISBURSEMENTS
- All disbursements of funds or property at the disposal of the KUMC Postdoctoral Society (KPS) must be approved by the Executive Board.
- The treasurer will be notified of all income to the KPS. The treasurer must account for such funds, making periodic reports to the Executive Board of all incomes and disbursements.
- The Executive Board shall be empowered to authorize small, routine and administrative expenditures associated with the clerical, duplicative and distributive functions of the KPS. These expenditures shall be subject to the review and countermand of the Executive Board.