The Culture Hour
A Casual Forum for student, faculty and staff
Insights, questions and concerns about culture
The Culture Hour is an informal setting where individuals can gather to discuss their personal experiences with cross-cultural exchanges...
- What was difficult
- What was confusing
- What was interesting
- What was different
- What was familiar or the same
In this format, everyone serves as an expert to explore the nuances of interaction between individuals; the rules that govern behavior and communication, especially non-verbal communication; the outcomes of these interactions and the expectations we bring to every encounter.
- Develop awareness of self as a cultural being
- Understand how unwritten cultural norms or rules are taught by the family and environment and influence every interaction
- Gain awareness of how expectations impact perceptions of communication and our perceptions of other people
- Understand and identify Culture Bumps
- Gain awareness of how culture is a part of every exchange
- Gain the ability to analyze situations and develop cross-cultural communication skills
- Develop cultural competencies for the classroom, work and interpersonal relationships
Who benefits from these discussions?
- International students, scholars or researchers living, working and/or studying in the United States
- Anyone who interacts with an international population - fellow students, residents, researchers, faculty and staff
- Anyone studying abroad -- student, faculty, administrator or staff
- Anyone in education
- Anyone in the Health Care field
- Anyone interested in diversity
- Anyone interested in communication
- Anyone interested culture
If any file format prevents you from accessing the information, please contact email@example.com for assistance. In order to respond in a manner most helpful to you, please note the nature of your accessibility concern, the format in which you prefer to receive the material, the web page address of the requested material, and the best way to contact you.
Mar 17, 2015