Virtual Worlds with Second Life
What is this service?
Using virtual worlds for education has significantly increased in recent years. TLT has been exploring and researching the educational possibilities of user-created virtual worlds, like Second Life, since 2004. We decided to purchase our own private Second Life island in 2007. With this island, there is approximately 16 acres of virtual space for projects.
Why is this service important or valuable to faculty?
- Give students a more game-like experience for major assignments or projects.
- Provides a new way to interact and socialize with students and other faculty in a 3D environment.
- Hold virtual presentations or guest lectures in the KUMC Auditorium when you are unable to meet in person.
- Have a way for students to build or interact with 3D objects or spaces for learning.
What are some exciting and useful capabilities of this service?
- Text and voice chat
- Hospital space for you to use
- Auditorium for student presentations, guest lectures, or a social gathering
- Unlimited possibilities
What are some current KUMC projects for this service?
The School of Nursing projects:
- Jayhawk Community Living Center
- Student Posterboard Area
- Student Presentations using the KUMC Isle Auditorium
- Informatics Instructors hold Office hours in Second Life
The School of Allied Health projects:
- Nurse Anestheisa Operating Room Simulation
- Physical Therapy & Occupational Therapy Home Assessment
- Dietetics Weight Management Program
How do I use this service?
To speak with a technologist about using Second Life in your course or curriculum, contact your liaison:
- School of Allied Health faculty and staff contact Sonny Painter at 913-588-5532
- School of Medicine faculty and staff contact Douglas Adam 913-588-6062
- School of Nursing faculty and staff contact Nellie Modaress 913-588-7341
Additional Online Resources for this service:
- Envisioning the educational possibilities of user-created virtual worlds - by Dave Antonacci and Nellie Modaress
- Second Life Viewer 2 New Features Videos - by TLT Staff
For more information about this service, contact TLT at 913-588-7107 or email@example.com
Feb 03, 2014