Virtual Worlds with Second Life
TLT has been exploring and researching the educational possibilities of user-created virtual worlds, like Second Life, since 2004. KUMC has our own private Second Life island, called KUMC Isle. With this island, approximately 16 acres of virtual space is available for teaching and research projects.
- Provide a new way to interact and socialize with students and other faculty in a 3D environment.
- Give students a more game-like experience for major assignments or projects.
- Hold virtual presentations or guest lectures in the KUMC Conference Center when you are unable to meet in person.
- Have students build or interact with 3D objects or spaces for learning.
What are some exciting and useful capabilities of Second Life?
- Welcome Center
- Hospital and office spaces
- Conference Center for guest lectures or social gatherings
- Poster Pavillion for student presentations
- Jayhawk Community Living Center simulation
- Home Assessment simulation
- Weight Management learning activities
- Sandbox to create and program virtual objects
- Unlimited possibilities
How do I begin using Second Life?
Meet with your TLT Liaison to explore using Second Life in your teaching or research:
Additional online resources for virtual worlds and Second Life:
For more information about this service, contact Teaching & Learning Technologies (TLT) at 913-588-7107 or email@example.com.
Jan 22, 2016