Program Prerequisites and How to Apply
Program prerequisites include:
- B.S. or B.A. degree
- One year of general chemistry
- One year of organic or one semester of organic and one semester of biochemistry
- One year of biological sciences
- One semester of calculus
- One semester of physics
Research experience (beyond labs associated with lecture courses) is strongly suggested. Applicants will be assessed based on a combination of GPA, letters of recommendation, personal statment, and research experience. In some cases, students may be considered for admission even if they have not fulfilled all prerequisites. The IGPBS program no longer requires GRE scores for applications.
To apply for admission:
- Submit your completed application and pay the $60 non-refundable application fee. (You will be asked to provide contact e-mail addresses for three references. After you submit your application, your references will then receive an automated e-mail with instructions for submitting their letter of recommendation through our online system.)
- Request that one copy of your official transcripts from each college/university previously attended be sent to the KUMC Office of Post Doctoral Affairs and Graduate Studies at the following address below or via email to email@example.com using one of the transcript clearing houses:
KUMC Office of Post Doctoral Affairs and Graduate Studies
3901 Rainbow Blvd
Kansas City, KS 66160
- If you are an international student, request an official copy of your TOEFL scores be sent to KUMC. Minimum TOEFL scores for admission are at least a 23 on the Reading and Listening portions of the TOEFL IBT and at least a 19 on the Writing section. We do accept IELTS scores in place of the TOEFL. Minimum scores for the IELTS are 6.5 overall with no part score below 6. Either the TOEFL or the IELTS must have been taken within two years of the first semester of enrollment.
For direct reporting of TOEFL scores, our institution code is 6895.
The Fall 2019 application portal is open. The deadline for the application is December 1st. Once your completed application has been received it will be reviewed by the admissions committee. Applications will be considered until all positions are full. For select applicants who currently reside in the United States or Canada, a recruitment/interview weekend will be held February 23rd and 24th. If you are invited by the review panel, we will arrange your visit to the KUMC campus at our expense. Select International applicants will be interviewed via telephone or Skype. All decisions regarding interviews and acceptance will be made as soon as possible, but no later than May.