No one can predict if and when a disabling illness or injury will happen. Short-term disability is a type of insurance that will pay a percentage of your salary for a specified amount of time, if you are hurt or ill and cannot perform the duties of your job. KU Medical Center has partnered with Aflac and the KUMC Credit Union to offer a short-term disability benefit for benefits-eligible employees.
- Benefits are paid directly to you unless you choose otherwise.
- Total monthly benefits range from $300 up to $6,000.
- Coverage is portable, which means you can take it with you if you change jobs or retire (with certain stipulations).
- Premiums are paid through a direct deposit account.
- Benefits are paid in addition to sick pay and vacation leave; it does not replace or reduce accruals.
Who can benefit
- Recently hired employees who haven't yet accrued adequate sick leave and vacation time.
- Employees who have used much of their sick/vacation time already.
- Employees on maternity leave.
- Employees who just want the additional protection.
How it works
- Open enrollment for short-term disability will be May 15 - June 15, with an effective date of August 1.
- If you enrolled in short-term disability last year, you do not need to do anything unless you need to change your benefit amount.
- There is a 14 calendar day waiting period which begins the first work day you are absent. After the waiting period, coverage will begin, up to a maximum of six months. At six months, if eligible, long-term disability benefits from Kansas would begin.
- Following enrollment, payroll will set up a direct deposit account for you through MyKUMC. This will be used to pay your short-term disability premiums every pay period.
- Since employees pay the premiums after-tax, the monthly benefit payments are not taxed.
How to enroll
- Enrollment May 15 - June 15.
- For plan information, rates and enrollment click here or here.
- To enroll click apply to enrollment site.
- Case ID: ___________________
- User ID: 3 to 7 (last 3 -7 numbers of employee ID)
- Password: __________________
- Enter security code - site is menu drive, read instructions thoroughly.
- Be sure you click the submit button.
You may also take advantage of critical illness and accident coverage available through Aflac. Open enrolment is also May 15 - June 15, with an effective date of August 1.
Note: While this benefit is designed to complement the excellent employee benefit programs offered by the state of Kansas, this benefit is not a part of the state's benefits package. Human Resources negotiated this benefit to fill in the six month gap it takes long-term disability coverage to take effect. Open enrollment for short-term disability will occur every May. Open enrollment for the state's benefits will occur every October.
Apr 15, 2016