Initial Study Submission
All human research study applications are submitted and stored online in our electronic IRB system (eCompliance). Please note that the KUMC IRB will have meetings December 5th, 12th, and 19th. The IRB will not have an IRB meeting on December 26th. Please review our 2018 IRB Meeting Dates and remember, there are no submission deadlines for new proposals.
The KUMC FWA covers three IRBs, two which operate at the KUMC main campus in Kansas City, and one which operates at the School of Medicine-Wichita as well as other IRBs designated by the KUMC HRPP as reviewing IRBs.
- Institutional Organization #: 0000100
- FWA #: 00003411
- KUMC IRBs
- IRB 1#: IRB00000161
- IRB 3#: IRB00006196
Step 1: Review a complete list of documents to prepare (04/2017) matched with the correct screen in eCompliance / eIRB for each document you plan to upload for your study.
This list includes preparing and uploading the required Study Protocol. If you are seeking a protocol format, the KUMC Protocol Templates are ready for your use:
Step 2: Choose a Review Type
See Risk and Review Types or refer to our guide on IRB Application Types to assist you in choosing the correct program description / review type.
Step 3: Complete the Corresponding Project Description or Request for Determinations of Other Projects
Each new proposal will be accompanied by an applicable Project Description. The Project Description provides the IRB with additional information, necessary for local review that is not captured in the electronic system. 3/11/2015
Step 4: Request Scientific Merit and Department Reviews
- Scientific Merit Form - Use this form when scientific review is being provided by an individual or committee within the department. Note that a Scientific Review form is not required for exempt, retrospective, or reliance studies.
- Scientific Review and Administrative Certification (combined form) - Use this form when the department chair is providing both the scientific review and the administrative certification.
- Administrative Certification for IRB Submission - Use this form if the Department Chair/Director is approving the IRB submission on paper. The Chair/Director can provide electronic approval for the submission by being designated as an Ancillary Reviewer. Please contact the HSC office with questions about ancillary reviews.
- FAQs about Scientific Merit Review
Step 5: Complete Supplemental Initial Submission Forms as Needed
Please refer to the following guides as needed:
Step 7: Submit the Study or Notify the PI to submit
Step 8: Respond to Provisos / Modifications Required for Approval
Jan 18, 2018