Human Research Protection Program
"Partnering with our investigators to ensure safe and ethical research"
Purpose and Components of the Human Research Protection Program
The KUMC Human Research Protection Program (HRPP) was developed to ensure the rights, safety and welfare of all subjects recruited or enrolled in research projects, regardless of funding source. The program also ensures that all personnel involved in research activities understand and comply with the ethical standards of research. The HRPP coordinates oversight by incorporating all aspects of compliance related to human subjects research. The components of the HRPP are:
- Institutional Review Board
- Conflict of Interest Committee
- Institutional Biosafety Committee
- HIPAA Compliance Office
Consultation and Pre-Review Services
The Human Research Protection Program is pleased to offer Consultation Appointments, to assist investigators, coordinators, residents, and students with pre-review and other questions about HSC submissions. Half-hour appointments will be offered during the following times:
Mondays: 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Wednesdays: 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Fridays: 2 p.m. - 3 p.m.
Other times can be arranged when requested. Investigators may use the 30-minute time slot for help in evaluating the feasibility of a project and possible regulatory implications, pre-review of your draft HSC application, protocol and consent form, assistance with answering provisos, and general questions about HSC and other regulatory requirements. To schedule an appointment, please contact the HRPP Director at 588-0942 or the HSC Office at 588-1240.
About eCompliance / eIRB System
- Electronic submissions of Human Subjects Research applications AND Conflict of Interest reports can be completed at https://ecompliance.ku.edu
- Instructions and help are posted on the IRB Forms, Electronic Submission, and FAQs pages.
- If you are experiencing difficulty accessing the system, go to http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cache Choose your browser, clear your cache files. If that doesn't work, please contact us immediately at 588-1240 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Departmental training for the electronic IRB process can be arranged by contacting us at 588-0942 or email@example.com
- We offer assistance with eCompliance on Mondays at noon and most Thursdays at 2 pm. Reserve a spot in our handy HRPP Calendar in the panel to the right.
KUMC IRB Information
Federalwide Assurance (FWA) has been approved for KUMC. The FWA covers two IRBs which operate at the KUMC main campus in Kansas City as well as other IRBs designated by the KUMC HRPP as reviewing IRBs.
- Institutional Organization #: 0000100
- FWA #: 00003411
- KUMC IRBs
- IRB 1#: IRB00000161
- IRB 3#: IRB00006196
- IRB regulatory assurance statement and statement about IRB membership/rosters 01/2019
KUMC's Human Research Protection Program Achieves Accreditation
WASHINGTON, DC, Sept. 19, 2007 -- The Association for the Accreditation of Human Research Protection Programs, Inc. (AAHRPP) today announced the first organizations to be accredited in the states of Kansas, Oklahoma and West Virginia, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. The list includes the Human Research Protection Program at the University of Kansas Medical Center.