Human Research Protection Program
"Partnering with our investigators to ensure safe and ethical research"
Purpose and Components of the Human Research Protection Program
The KUMC Human Research Protection Program (HRPP) was developed to ensure the rights, safety and welfare of all subjects recruited or enrolled in research projects, regardless of funding source. The program also ensures that all personnel involved in research activities understand and comply with the ethical standards of research. The HRPP coordinates oversight by incorporating all aspects of compliance related to human subjects research. The components of the HRPP are:
- Institutional Review Board
- Conflict of Interest Committee
- Institutional Biosafety Committee
- HIPAA Compliance Office
Consultation and Pre-Review Services
The Human Research Protection Program is pleased to offer Consultation Appointments to assist investigators, coordinators, residents, and students with pre-review and other questions about IRB submissions. Half-hour appointments will be offered during the following times:
Mondays: 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Wednesdays: 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Fridays: 2 p.m. - 3 p.m.
Other times can be arranged when requested. Researchers may use the 30-minute time slot for help to: evaluate the feasibility of a project and possible regulatory implications; pre-review your draft IRB application, protocol and consent form; assist answering provisos and general questions about IRB and other regulatory requirements. To schedule an appointment, contact the IRB Office at (913) 588-1240 or IRBhelp@kumc.edu.
About eCompliance / eIRB System
- Electronic submissions of Human Subjects Research applications AND Conflict of Interest reports can be completed at https://ecompliance.ku.edu
- Instructions and help are posted on the IRB Forms and Electronic Submission pages.
- If you experience difficulty accessing the system, Clear-Your-Browser's-Cache. If that doesn't work, contact us at (913) 588-1240 or IRBhelp@kumc.edu
- Departmental training for the electronic IRB process can be arranged.
- We offer assistance with eCompliance on Mondays at noon and most Thursdays at 2 pm.
KUMC IRB Information
Federalwide Assurance (FWA) has been approved for KUMC. The FWA covers two IRBs which operate at the KUMC main campus in Kansas City as well as other IRBs designated by the KUMC HRPP as reviewing IRBs.
- Institutional Organization #: IORG0000100
- Federalwide Assurance #: FWA00003411
- KUMC IRBs
- IRB 1#: IRB00000161
- IRB 3#: IRB00006196
- IRB regulatory assurance statement and statement about IRB membership (January 2019)
KUMC's Human Research Protection Program Achieves Accreditation
WASHINGTON, DC, Sept. 19, 2007 -- The Association for the Accreditation of Human Research Protection Programs, Inc. (AAHRPP) today announced the first organizations to be accredited in the states of Kansas, Oklahoma and West Virginia, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. The list includes the Human Research Protection Program at the University of Kansas Medical Center.