Applications of Human Genome Technology II
Curriculum and Instruction 896 Off Campus Line # 89121
Debra L. Collins, M.S. and Rebecca Knetter, PhD
Date: Summer 1998 (Monday-Friday)
Applications of Human Genome Technology I or approval of instructor
hours graduate credit (Must be admitted to the graduate school of the Univ. of Kansas)
Instructions: Complete as many of the following assignments as possible prior to the workshop, some can be done during evenings at the workshop. Educators (secondary, community college, etc.) and non-educators (those who are not teachers) requirements are all due by August 10, 1998.
- Complete an internet assignment which includes cross-references to world wide web sites for teachers about human genetics. Use the Human Genome Project Internet Exercise Form II.
- Attend 45 hours of workshop instruction Applications of Human Genome Technology II.
- Evaluate 5 curricular ideas. Use Curricular Idea Critique Form. (during workshop)
- EDUCATORS: Develop a presentation in human genetics. Complete a Presenter Page for future presentation.
NON-EDUCATORS: Write a paper reviewing current literature on applications of human genome technology.
Complete the Review of Literature Form.
EDUCATORS: Document three mentor contacts in the area of human genetics. Use Mentor Collaboration Form.
NON-EDUCATORS: Conduct an interview with a genetic professional and complete Genetic Professional Interview Form.
- Research ten human genetic conditions. Complete a Genetic Condition Assignment Form for each.
Completion Date for Grades: An "incomplete" will be posted as your grade if materials are received after August 1, 1998 (most students). Those receiving an "incomplete" must turn in all required
materials by August 10th. The grade will then be
changed to a letter grade in mid-September. After this, if you wish to receive a transcript with your grade, use the Request for Transcript Form (which will be given to you at the workshop) to send to the university for the late grade posting.
Please send all completed assignments to:
University of Kansas Medical Center - Course II
Genetics Education Center - 4023 Wescoe
3901 Rainbow Blvd.
Kansas City, Kansas 66160-7318
Textbooks and Course Materials:
- Genetics and You,
John F. Jackson, Humana Press, 1996, $9.95 paperback, ISBN# 0-89603-330-9
- A Dictionary of Genetics,
Robert C. King and William D. Stansfield, Oxford Press, 1996, $24.95 paperback, ISBN# 0-19509-442-5
- Genetics Education Materials Resource List, Genetics Education Center,
Genetic Conditions & Support Groups |
| Clinical Resources
| Genome Centers
Genetic Computer Resources
| Diversity |
| Glossaries |
Disclaimer | Privacy
About | FAQ
Suggestions & Feedback
Genetics Education Center
University of Kansas Medical Center © 1995-2012
Debra Collins, M.S. CGC, Genetic Counselor, email@example.com
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: