Security of Radioactive Materials
Radioactive materials must either be kept under a trained radiation worker's direct control (i.e., within sight of) or in a secured location at all times.
The two most common ways that Authorized Users at KUMC meet these regulations are by ensuring that either:
- Radioactive Materials are always kept locked in freezers, cabinets, or other areas at all times when not in use, or
- Laboratories that are posted as Radioactive Materials Areas are kept locked at all times when the lab is unattended.
You can help us meet these requirements by ensuring that:
- You do not leave a locked Radioactive Materials area unlocked and unattended.
- You NEVER dispose of anything that is labeled "radioactive" and never dispose of radioactive labels - even if the item they are attached to is not radioactive.
- You confront individuals (in a friendly manner) who enter your lab to determine why they are there and warn them of the hazards that are present. Any suspicious or unsafe behavior -- even if it does not result in a loss of material -- should be reported immediately to the EHS office (8-6126) or KUMC police (8-5030 or 911 from a campus phone).