Emergency Management & Preparedness
September is National Emergency Preparedness Month!
If an emergency occurred tomorrow, would you be ready? September is National Preparedness Month! Sponsored by FEMA, the University Emergency Management team uses this month to further educate and empower our campus community to prepare for and respond to all types of emergencies. We ask that you take the time this month to prepare yourself and those you care about for emergencies and disasters, as we all know that emergencies are usually unexpected!
The University has designated Sept. 22-26 as Emergency Preparedness Week at KU Medical Center. Be sure to take part in one or all of the scheduled activities so you can be well prepared. Remember, preparation can be your ace in the hole and the difference between survival and disaster!
- Monday, Sept. 22: Preparation Stations - Make sure you know how to properly operate a fire extinguisher and lifeslider by going through these training stations. Anyone who takes part in the training can enjoy complimentary doughnuts and coffee. Stations will be available 8-11 a.m. in the School of Nursing atrium.
- Tuesday, Sept. 23: "Everything You Wanted to Know and More" lunch and learn - Emergency Management will talk about the importance of preparedness, offer time for questions and answers, and provide interactive games to make learning fun from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in SON B018. The first 30 people will receive sandwiches, chips, and cookies. Make sure to put it on your calendar!
- Wednesday, Sept. 24: Preparedness Planning - Fred the Preparedness Dog will help us put together complete home preparedness plans, including what you should have in your emergency kits, from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. in Lied Atrium. People who bring their home preparedness plans in advance will receive a cookie and also be entered to win two AMC movie tickets. There is already sufficient chatter about record-setting snowfall and inclement weather this winter, making it even more important to have proper plans and kits in place.
- Thursday, Sept. 25: Scavenger Hunt (get list here) - Find items on the scavenger hunt list and turn them in by noon. Email your list to emergency management at email@example.com before noon. Everyone who participates in the scavenger hunt will be entered into a drawing to receive a free month membership to Kirmayer, which includes group training AND GT45! All courtesy of Kirmayer. All of the items in the scavenger hunt have something to do with your preparedness here at KU Medical Center.
- Friday, Sept. 26: Wheel of Disaster - Take part in the finale and spin the Wheel of Disaster to test your knowledge of what you would do in an emergency event from noon to 2 p.m., Lied Atrium. Every spin ears you candy!
- Challenge and Trivia Contest - Each Monday through the end of the month, we'll provide a challenge or trivia question, and if you take part, you will be entered to win cool prizes!
We hope to see you all week long! Send any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sep 19, 2014