Facilities and Resources
Equipment and Instrumentation
- All computers in the Section are connected to a 100 Megabit per second local are network that provides more than 250 Gigabytes of network file storage. Networked file servers provide constant hardware backups of stored data through mirrored storage systems and daily tape backups are also performed. Weekly tape backups are stored off site for additional protection of research data. The network is managed by KUMC's Information Resources who provides installation, training, and maintenance on all information systems. The local area network is connected to a switched, 1 Gigabit Ethernet backbone that provides high speed Internet access through the KUMC Internet-2 communication network. Currently KUMC's Internet2 access is via the Kansas Research and Education Network (KanREN). KanREN supports Internet2 connectivity for all of its members via a 10Gbps link to the Great Plains Network (GPN) and KUMC is connected to KanREN via a 1 Gigabit per second connection.. This high-speed network provides each workstation with access to the World Wide Web, electronic mail, electronic file transfer, and shared CD-ROM-based databases.
- HERON: Medical Informatics has several servers to support our Healthcare Enterprise Repository for Ontological Narration (HERON). Our development environment consists of a two VMWare virtualized SUSE Linux servers managed by Information Resources.
- Two dedicated HP DL180 servers managed by Information Resources:
- The server which stores identified data has a two 6 core 2.66 GHz Xeon processors with 96 GB RAM, two FusionIO IoDrive Duo 1.28 TB ultra-high speed memory cards, and 4.8 (2.193 after RAID10) TB of fast storage (15,000 rpm 600 GB SAS drives) in a RAID10 configuration and one 600 GB SAS hot spare drive and 4 (1.838 after RAID5) TB of backup and file storage (7,200 rpm 2TB SATA drives) for obtaining source data from our clinical partners.
- The server which stores de-identified data has a two 6 core 2.66 GHz Xeon processors with 72 GB RAM, two FusionIO IoDrive Duo 1.28 TB ultra-high speed memory cards, and 2.4 (1.116 after RAID 10) TB of fast storage (600 GB SAS drives) in a RAID10 configuration and 4 (1.838 after RAID 5) TB of backup and file storage (2 SATA drives) for obtaining source data from our clinical partners. Add FusionIO cards and SAN.
- Both servers also have an additional 4 TB of dedicated high speed storage on the campus XioTek Storage Area Network. The informatics team and Information Resources are currently upgrading our production environment to have two new HP DL560 servers; each with 4 6 core 2.9 GHz Xeon processors 512 GB of RAM, and 2.4 TB Fusion ioDrives. The new servers provide greater expansion capability as well as increased memory for supporting the data warehouse.
- Two virtualized SUSE Linux servers for hosting the i2b2 and REDCap applications managed by Information Resources. These virtualized servers' storage, processors and RAM can be dynamically assigned by Information Resources in response to utilization. Additional storage can be allocated from the campus XioTek Storage Area Network.
- Biomedical Informatics has also worked with KUMC Institutional Finance and Information Resources to establish a contract to utilize Amazon Web Services for informatics development and applications: this will allow methods to be developed by KUMC and have more immediate applicability to other institutions. Informatics and KUMC General Counsel are currently working with AWS to finalize a Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act (HIPAA) Business Associates Agreement so that this environment can be used with protected health information. This capability will also enhance KUMC's ability to provide a real world environment that can utilize analysis methods and tools developed for a cloud computing environment.
- The Division of Medical Informatics and the Office of Enterprise Analytics occupy a total of 4,228 square feet on the third floor of the Student Center.
- Medical Informatics occupies 2,276 square feet
- Enterprise Analytics occupies 1,055 square feet
- Both departments share 897 square feet
Apr 30, 2014