EVC Diversity and Inclusion Award
The EVC Diversity & Inclusion Award recognizes significant achievements of KUMC faculty, staff, students, residents, departments, units, and registered organizations toward developing and enhancing a more inclusive, diverse and culturally competent university community. Nominees and recipients are leaders in creating a culture and environment, characterized by inclusion and respect, in which the very best education, discovery and healing can take place. All references to KUMC include the Kansas City, Wichita and Salina campuses.
Nominations for the 2018 EVC Diversity & Inclusion Award will be accepted Jan. 23 - Feb. 16, 2018. Awards will be conferred at the annual Award Ceremony & Keynote Lecture on April 25, 2018.
What programs are appropriate for nomination?
Nominations will be accepted for individual's and group's efforts, initiatives or programs that promote diversity and inclusion values at KUMC. KUMC Diversity Core Value Statement:
The University of Kansas Medical Center is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive learning and working environment that nurtures the growth and development of our students, faculty, staff and patients.
KUMC defines diversity as a state of being in which the variety of cultures, experiences, expertise and viewpoints are valued and incorporated into the fabric of our community. Diversity encompasses age, education level, ethnicity and race, gender expression and identity, nationality, national origin, physical and mental ability, political and religious perspectives, sex, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, veteran status and other human differences.
By embracing diversity, our University will attract and retain skilled and talented employees and students dedicated to excellence in education, research, patient care, community and global initiatives. A diverse and inclusive community that fosters mutual respect requires the engagement of the University at all levels.
Who can be nominated?
Two awards will be issued; one to an individual and one to a group.
- INDIVIDUALS: KUMC-employed faculty, staff or enrolled students, residents who have advanced diversity and inclusion at KUMC
- GROUPS: Any KUMC department, unit, team or registered organization, which has advanced diversity and inclusion at KUMC
What are the conditions of the award?
- NOMINATION: All nominees will be notified by the selection committee upon receipt of the nomination packet. A current CV or resume will be requested of the nominee.
- AWARD: Recipients will receive a plaque with their name engraved, which recipients may keep. Another plaque will have recipient names engraved and will be located with the diversity award, Excelsior. Excelsior and the accompanying plaque shall be displayed in a public location of the EVC's choosing.
- STIPEND: Recipients shall receive a $1,000 monetary award to be announced on April 25, 2018.
How are nominations made?
Nomination packets must include the following (incomplete nomination packets will not be reviewed):
- Submit nomination form. Nominations may be submitted from January 23 - February 16, 2018.
- Nominator will submit a nomination form located on the EVC Diversity & Inclusion Award myKUMC page. The written portion explaining why the nominee is being nominated is not to exceed 500 words.
- Two letters of support from two sources other than the nominator. Each letter of support is not to exceed 500 words.
- Group nominations (i.e., departments, units, teams or registered organizations) must include a list of all members.
- Self-nominations are welcome.
- A complete nomination packet includes a nomination form with the 500 words from the nominator and two additional letters (500 words each) of support. Packets that do not include the three items mentioned above will not be considered.
How are selections made?
To be considered for the EVC Diversity & Inclusion Award the group/individual must show strong evidence of engagement in projects that:
- Significantly promote diversity, inclusion and cultural competency development among KUMC-employed faculty, staff, residents or enrolled students and/or within community KUMC serves including Wichita and Salina;
- Address key areas of diversity and inclusion such as recruitment, retention, campus/department climate or community outreach;
- Address key areas of diversity and inclusion such as recruitment, retention, campus/department climate, research, clinical practice or community outreach;
- Lead initiatives in capturing outcomes of increased awareness, understanding or promoting diversity at KUMC;
- Implement steps toward fostering diversity in the workplace with programs that maximize the potential of all people;
- Creating partnerships between managers and employees to resolve diversity workplace issues;
- Promoting diversity workplace education and communication ideas; and/or
- Improving cultural competency through educational initiatives.
When assessing an organization's community-related projects, the reviewers look at initiatives that involve the following efforts:
- Providing support to community-based diversity programs designed to improve people's cultural awareness and sensitivity;
- Taking a proactive role in local diversity and minority issues by, for example, building relationships with diversity community advisory councils or educating citizens on matters of diversity disparities;
- Encouraging employee volunteerism in the community with regard to cultural connections;
- Participating in community diversity outreach programs that help people to learn more about the KUMC's mission towards enhancing diversity.
When is the award conferred?
The award will be conferred annually during the Spring academic semester. The 2018 award ceremony and keynote lecture is April 25, 2018.
For questions, please contact Jennifer Keeton at (913) 588-3319.
Jan 24, 2018