What are the Benefits and Risks?
Will a clinical trial cure me?
The unknown element inherent in clinical trials
a big factor to consider. You may get better, you may see no change, or you may get worse. Your participation in the study will determine whether a treatment is effective or not. Weighing the potential benefits and risks involved in a clinical trial is a very important part of deciding whether to participate.
- Gain access to new research treatments before they are widely available
- Obtain expert medical care at leading health care facilities during the trial
- Help others by contributing to medical research
- Play an active role in your own health care
- You may be among the first to benefit if the approach being studied is found to be helpful
- Side effects may be unpleasant, serious or life-threatening
- The experimental treatment may not be effective for the participant
- The protocol may require more time and attention than would a non-protocol treatment, including trips to the study site, more treatments, hospital stays or complex dosage requirements
Jul 26, 2018