On occasion, prospective health care students request to "shadow" a KUMC professional. Because the shadowing experience involves exposure to individual health information or contact with patients, the HIPAA Privacy Rule and other institutional requirements apply.
If the shadowing request comes from a student who is not currently enrolled at KUMC (e.g., high school students, KU-Lawrence student, other college students, family members), the following requirements must be met:
- An individual wishing to shadow must be at least 16 years of age.
- A faculty provider must be willing to "sponsor" the shadowing individual.
- The student must complete HIPAA training. Shadow training can be found on our website. Remember to print out a certificate upon completion. Alternatively, if you have taken HIPAA training at another institution, please provide a copy of your satisfactory completion.
- The student must sign both: a confidentiality agreement, the shadowing liability release form and the infection control document.
- Before the student observes patient care, the faculty provider must obtain verbal permission from the patient or patient's representative. It is strongly recommended that the provider make a note in the chart to document that permission was given.
- Students must obtain an identification badge according to page 4 of this PDF document.
- Students shall not be granted access to KUMC network resources, including electronic medical record systems.
- Upon completion, documentation of training and forms for students who shadow should be retained for a period of six years by the department sponsoring the individual's shadow experience.
Future health care students represent one of several groups of individuals who visit our campus and may be exposed to patient information. For complete information about HIPAA requirements for non-KUMC personnel, please contact the privacy official for your organization:
- Bob Spaniol (Hospital 913-945-5216)
- Terri Thompson (UKP 913-588-2526)
- Dwayne Boettcher (KUHP 913-588-5277)
- Juli Gardner (University 913-588-0940)
Thank you for your effort and cooperation in making this shadow experience a meaningful one for this future health care professional.
Jun 05, 2013