Updated August 2014
Enhancing Student Education
- Stevens County is part of the Southwest Medical Education Network with Randall Fahrenholtz, MD, a resident of Tribune, serving as the Medical Education Director. The medical education director helps coordinate the School of Medicine's efforts to mentor, train and place physicians throughout Kansas.
Strengthening the Health Care Workforce
- 2 KU Medical Center graduate live and/or practices in Stevens County.
- 1 Stevens County physician received funding through the Kansas Bridging Plan, a loan-forgiveness program offered since 1991 to primary care medical residents who agree to practice in rural Kansas.
Researching to Improve Health
- Hospitalization has been identified as a teachable moment in which patients may be more likely to quit smoking. Stevens County Hospital is one 35 Kansas hospitals participating in Kan Quit II, a study that provides smoking cessation counseling, treatment and case management services to inpatients. The study then evaluates the effectiveness of the smoking cessation services. The project is led by Edward Ellerbeck, MD, MPH and is sponsored by the National Cancer Institute and the National Institutes of Health.
Advancing Health Care Access
- 6 Stevens County residents saw KU Medical Center health care providers via telemedicine, an interactive video technology that connects providers and patients when distance separates the two, in Fiscal Year 2014. These services are provided through the University of Kansas Center for Telemedicine and Telehealth.
- Stevens County residents made 9 visits to KU Medical Center health care providers in outreach clinics held outside of Kansas City in FY14.
- Stevens County is served by the West office of KU Medical Center's Area Health Education Center (AHEC) in Hays, which serves the state through student education initiatives, professional education for health care providers, health screenings, clinics and public presentations on health topics.
Are we forgetting anything?
Please fill out the form below with any information that we are missing for this county.
Oct 13, 2014