Updated December 2014
- Lane County is served by KU Medical Center's Area Health Education Center (AHEC), which serves the state through student education initiatives, professional education for health care providers, health screenings, clinics and public presentations on health topics.
Enhancing Student Education
- Lane County is part of the Southwest Medical Education Network with Thomas Koksal, MD, a resident of Garden City, serving as the Medical Education Director. The medical education director helps coordinate the School of Medicine's efforts to mentor, train and place physicians throughout Kansas.
Strengthening the Health Care Workforce
- 3 KU Medical Center graduates live and/or practice in Lane County.
- Lane County is part of The Kansas Sepsis Project. Led by KU Medical Center Professor Steven Simpson, MD, this project seeks to reduce the death rates of patients with severe sepsis, a potentially life-threatening complication of an infection. The program teaches health professionals in all specialties to recognize severe sepsis and to take rapid, organized steps to treat severe sepsis.
Researching to Improve Health
- Obesity is a risk factor for breast cancer recurrence, and rural women are considered to be at a higher risk for obesity and to have less access to health care. Female patients from 60 counties, including Lane County, are taking part in a weight-loss maintenance intervention program for breast cancer survivors in rural Kansas. The program connects survivors for long-term weight management using phone-based peer group support. The study then evaluates the effectiveness of the program over time. This research is led by Christie Befort, PhD, and is sponsored by the National Cancer Institute.
Advancing Health Care Access
- Lane County residents saw KU Medical Center health care providers 16 times via telemedicine in Fiscal Year 2014. An interactive video technology that connects providers and patients when distance separates the two, telemedicine services are provided through the University of Kansas Center for Telemedicine and Telehealth.
- Lane County residents made 7 visits to KU Medical Center health care providers in outreach clinics held outside of Kansas City in FY14.
Are we forgetting anything?
Please fill out the form below with any information that we are missing for this county.
Jun 25, 2015