Updated December 2014
- Kiowa County is served by KU Medical Center's Area Health Education Center (AHEC), which serves the state through student education initiatives, professional education for health care providers, health screenings, clinics and public presentations on health topics.
Enhancing Student Education
- Kiowa County is part of the Southwest Medical Education Network with Thomas Koksal, MD, a resident of Garden City, serving as the Medical Education Director. The medical education director helps coordinate the School of Medicine's efforts to mentor, train and place physicians throughout Kansas.
Strengthening the Health Care Workforce
- 3 KU Medical Center graduates live and/or practice in Kiowa County.
- 1 enrollment in KU Medical Center continuing education courses and conferences by Kiowa County health care professionals in Fiscal Year 2014.
Researching to Improve Health
- Obesity is a risk factor for breast cancer recurrence, and rural women are considered to be at a higher risk for obesity and to have less access to health care. Female patients from 60 counties, including Kiowa County, are taking part in a weight-loss maintenance intervention program for breast cancer survivors in rural Kansas. The program connects survivors for long-term weight management using phone-based peer group support. The study then evaluates the effectiveness of the program over time. This research is led by Christie Befort, PhD, and is sponsored by the National Cancer Institute.
Are we forgetting anything?
Please fill out the form below with any information that we are missing for this county.
Jun 25, 2015