Updated December 2014
Enhancing Student Education
- 2 students from Kearny County are currently studying at KU Medical Center.
- 1 Kearny County physician serves as volunteer KU Medical Center faculty, providing medical students with hands-on training in rural and underserved communities as part of the Rural Preceptorship Program.
- Kearny County is part of the Southwest Medical Education Network with Thomas Koksal, MD, a resident of Garden City, serving as the Medical Education Director. The medical education director helps coordinate the School of Medicine's efforts to mentor, train and place physicians throughout Kansas.
Strengthening the Health Care Workforce
- 7 KU Medical Center graduates live and/or practice in Kearny County.
- 2 health care providers have been placed in Kearny County since 2004 through the Kansas Recruitment and Retention Center, which provides placement assistance to rural health organizations and seeks to enhance the quality and quantity of health care professionals in rural Kansas.
- 3 Kearny County physicians received funding through the Kansas Bridging Plan, a loan-forgiveness program offered since 1991 to primary care medical residents who agree to practice in rural Kansas.
- 1 health care professional from Kearny County participated in KU Medical Center continuing education courses and conferences in Fiscal Year 2014.
Researching to Improve Health
- Hospitalization has been identified as a teachable moment in which patients may be more likely to quit smoking. Kearny County Hospital is one 35 Kansas hospitals participating in Kan Quit II, a study that provides smoking cessation counseling, treatment and case management services to inpatients. The study then evaluates the effectiveness of the smoking cessation services. The project is led by Edward Ellerbeck, MD, MPH and is sponsored by the National Cancer Institute and the National Institutes of Health.
Advancing Health Care Access
- Kearny County residents made 7 visits to KU Medical Center health care providers in outreach clinics held outside of Kansas City in FY14.
- Kearny County is served by KU Medical Center's Area Health Education Center (AHEC), which serves the state through student education initiatives, professional education for health care providers, health screenings, clinics and public presentations on health topics.
Are we forgetting anything?
Please fill out the form below with any information that we are missing for this county.
Dec 19, 2014