Updated February 2013
Wilson County is served by the East office of KU Medical Center's Area Health Education Centers (AHECs) in Pittsburg, which serves the state through student education initiatives, professional education for health care providers, health screenings, clinics and public presentations on health topics.
Enhancing Student Education
- Wilson County is part of the Eastern Medical Education Network with Robert Haskins, MD, a resident of Pittsburg, serving as the Medical Education Director. The medical education director helps coordinate the School of Medicine's efforts to mentor, train and place physicians throughout Kansas.
Strengthening the Health Care Workforce
- 13 KU Medical Center graduates live and/or practice in Wilson County.
- 1 Wilson County health care employer exhibited with 2012 Kansas Career Opportunities, which is designed to introduce medical students, residents and other health care professionals to rural communities looking to hire.
- 16 health care professionals from Wilson County participated in KU Medical Center continuing education courses and conferences in 2012.
Researching to Improve Health
- Hospitalization has been identified as a teachable moment in which patients may be more likely to quit smoking. Fredonia Regional Hospital and Wilson Medical Center are two of 35 Kansas hospitals participating in Kan Quit II, a study that provides smoking cessation counseling, treatment and case management services to inpatients. The study then evaluates the effectiveness of the smoking cessation services. The project is led by Edward Ellerbeck, MD, MPH and is sponsored by the National Cancer Institute and the National Institutes of Health.
- Wilson County is one of nine Kansas counties participating in a research study investigating the prevalence of developmental disabilities in rural children with epilepsy. The study is led by Suzanne Hawley, PhD, MPH.
Advancing Health Care Access
- 1 Wilson County resident made a visit to a KU Medical Center health care provider at an outreach clinic held outside of Kansas City in 2012.
May 22, 2013