Last updated December 2015
- Chautauqua County is served by KU Medical Center's Area Health Education Centers (AHECs), which serves the state through student education initiatives, professional education for health care providers, health screenings, clinics and public presentations on health topics.
Enhancing Student Education
- 2 Chautauqua County physicians serve as volunteer KU Medical Center faculty, providing medical students with hands-on training in rural and underserved communities as part of the Rural Preceptorship Program.
- 6 high school students in Chautauqua County participated in activities during the 2014-15 school year that encouraged them to consider careers in health care, math and science. These events were hosted by the KU AHECs.
- Chautauqua County is part of the Eastern Medical Education Network, with Jon Sides, M.D., a resident of Burlington, serving as the medical education director. The medical education director helps coordinate the School of Medicine's efforts to mentor, train and place physicians throughout Kansas.
Strengthening the Health Care Workforce
- 1 KU Medical Center alum lives and/or practices in Chautauqua County.
- 39 enrollments in KU Medical Center continuing education/professional development courses and conferences by Chautauqua County health care professionals in Fiscal Year 2015. Continuing education programming is offered by KU Medical Center's Continuing Education and Professional Development and KU AHECs.
- 80 professional education and administrative visits in Chautauqua County occurred in FY15 via telemedicine, an interactive video technology that eliminates distance as a barrier to health care, continuing education and interprofessional collaboration. The technology is operated by the University of Kansas Center for Telemedicine and Telehealth.
Advancing Health Care Access
- Chautauqua County residents saw KU Medical Center health care providers 196 times via telemedicine in FY15. An interactive video technology that connects providers and patients when distance separates the two, telemedicine services are provided through the University of Kansas Center for Telemedicine and Telehealth.
Are we forgetting anything?
Please fill out the form below with any information that we are missing for this county.
Mar 18, 2016