Updated December 2014
- Anderson County is served by KU Medical Center's Area Health Education Center (AHEC), which serves the state through student education initiatives, professional education for health care providers, health screenings, clinics and public presentations on health topics.
Enhancing Student Education
- 3 students from Anderson County are studying at KU Medical Center.
- Medical students spent six weeks working with primary care physicians and conducting a community-based research project in 26 counties, including Anderson County, as part of KU Medical Center's summer 2014 Rural Primary Care Practice and Research Program, one of several programs designed to encourage students to consider practicing medicine in a rural Kansas community.
- Anderson County is part of the Eastern Medical Education Network with Robert Haskins, MD, a resident of Pittsburg, serving as the Medical Education Director. The medical education director helps coordinate the School of Medicine's efforts to mentor, train and place physicians throughout Kansas.
Strengthening the Health Care Workforce
- 32 KU Medical Center graduates live and/or practice in Anderson County.
- 2 health care providers have been placed in Anderson County since 2004 through the Kansas Recruitment and Retention Center, which provides placement assistance to rural health organizations and seeks to enhance the quality and quantity of health care professionals in rural Kansas.
- 2 health care professionals from Anderson County participated in KU Medical Center continuing education courses and conferences in Fiscal Year 2014.
Researching to Improve Health
- Hospitalization has been identified as a teachable moment in which patients may be more likely to quit smoking. Anderson County Hospital is one of 35 Kansas hospitals participating in Kan Quit II, a study that provides smoking cessation counseling, treatment and case management services to inpatients. The study then evaluates the effectiveness of the smoking cessation services. The project is led by Edward Ellerbeck, MD, MPH and is sponsored by the National Cancer Institute and the National Institutes of Health.
Are we forgetting anything?
Please fill out the form below with any information that we are missing for this county.
Jan 02, 2015