Last updated January 2013
Allen County is served by the East office of KU Medical Center's Area Health Education Centers (AHECs) in Pittsburg, which serves the state through student education initiatives, professional education for health care providers, health screenings, clinics and public presentations on health topics.
Enhancing Student Education
- 8 students from Allen County are currently studying at KU Medical Center.
- Allen County is part of the Eastern Medical Education Network with Robert Haskins, MD, a resident of Pittsburg, serving as the Medical Education Director. The medical education director helps coordinate the School of Medicine's efforts to mentor, train and place physicians throughout Kansas.
Strengthening the Health Care Workforce
- 34 KU Medical Center graduates live and/or practice in Allen County.
- 1 health care provider has been placed in Allen County since 2003 through the Kansas Recruitment and Retention Center, which provides placement assistance to rural health organizations and seeks to enhance the quality and quantity of health care professionals in rural Kansas.
- 1 Allen County physician received funding through the Kansas Bridging Plan, a loan-forgiveness program offered since 1991 to primary care medical residents who agree to practice in rural Kansas.
- 1 Allen County health care employer exhibited with 2012 Kansas Career Opportunities, which is designed to introduce medical students, residents and other health care professionals to rural communities looking to hire.
- 24 health care professionals from Allen County participated in KU Medical Center continuing education courses and conferences in 2012.
Researching to Improve Health
- Allen County is one of nine Kansas counties participating in a research study investigating the prevalence of developmental disabilities in rural children with epilepsy. The study is led by Suzanne Hawley, PhD, MPH.
Advancing Health Care Access
- 8 Allen County residents saw KU Medical Center health care providers via telemedicine, an interactive video technology that connects providers and patients when distance separates the two, in 2012. These services are provided through the University of Kansas Center for Telemedicine and Telehealth.
May 23, 2013